LIfe Goes On.
And so it continues - Covid has made its way to my family now. My daughter has tested positive today. Of course, sods law, she was the one who dropped her dog at our house this morning. Normally her husband does it but she said the dog wasn't going to let her leave the house without him so she left early enough to drop him off with us. Fortunately she's wasn't in for long and kept fairly distant from us but still... She tested herself when she went home at lunchtime to check on her daughter who has tonsilitis. At work she'd felt a bit ropey and thought a test would probably come up negative however that's her grounded now for the duration and I only hope she gets a mild version of it and that no-one else gets it from her! Her hubby picked the dog up early this afternoon wearing a mask while waiting outside. I daresay it will be this way for a week or so now.
We have made the bold decision to go to Sydney to visit our son! We can hopefully get an exemption certificate to enter Australia as our son is a permanent resident and we're both fully vaccinated. I've been looking at flights and finally decided to go for it and booked the flights! I can't wait to see him and he's very excited to see us too which is nice! I think actually he's very keen for us to meet his dog who is incredibly well trained and loves the boat as much as he and his partner do! We'll also be visiting my aunt and uncle in Adelaide while we're there. I'm not looking forward to that so much as my aunt is now deep in dementia which will be sad and apparently my uncle is heading in the same direction though he's not yet been diagnosed. My cousin tells me his memory is now atrocious. They moved to an assisted living apartment last year which is just as well from what I hear and they have a spare bedroom which they will expect us to stay in. We'll also stay with my cousin for a few days too. I'm sure it will be better than I imagine. I only wish my mum was able to come to see her brother for one last time because it doesn't sound like he'll be able to visit here again. My mum wouldn't cope with the journey. This is when such a distance becomes a bigger issue. The travel to Australia is fairly gruelling. It's no fun being in a plane for 24 hours and will be even less so when we're wearing a mask the whole time too. However, it's a small price for us to pay to get to see our son but I know we'll reach a point one day when we'll struggle with the travel too. But I'm not going to think about that now. Hopefully thats a very distant occurance and I'm trying to 'live in the moment' these days.
We're still scraping walls and ceilings!
Today I thought I'd finished the stairway then hubby came home with the dog and noticed I'd totally forgotten about the bit at the top of the stairs! Doh! We've still the wallpaper behind the dresser to remove but as we don't plan to move the dresser till the end of the week it makes more sense to leave that paper till then too. Hubby is removing all the light fittings and replacing them with a wire and a bulb for now and he's discovered he'll need to do some repairs too. It's never straightforward. This is why I decorate very rarely - I'm losing the plot with the mess and can find nothing!! This is when it's hard to 'live in the moment' - I'm wishing myself to when it's all done and dusted!!
Oh my. A visit to Australia. Very exciting, but yes, it can be an exhausting journey. We have made it a few times and, even with a break mid-way, it was tough for me.
ReplyDeleteI am sure you will have a fantastic time. When are you going?
This will be our third visit to Australia and both times previously we had several day stops en route, this time however we only have a few hours wait in Dubai airport so it will feel like a very long time :( I can't wait!
DeleteI'm sorry to hear your daughter tested positive. Hopefully it'll be very mild! And good for you for booking the trip to Australia. Like you say, it's a gruelling trip but it will be worth it to see your family!
ReplyDeleteSo far my daughter has a really sore throat and a bit of a headache so hopefully it will stay at that and go away soon! It will be so worth the trip to see our son, I can't wait!
DeleteOh no, so sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she recovers quickly and you guys remain safe!! The trip while stressful to plan, will be so worth it! I know you will have the best time. As for staying with your aunt and uncle, I kinda wonder if that is a good idea?? Especially if they are both kind of poorly. I know it is the sad part of us getting older, our loved ones age too.
ReplyDeleteI thought much the same, that staying with my aunt and uncle might be stressful for them however my uncle would be very hurt if we didn't stay with them, in fact when they moved to the place they are in he told me he made sure it had a spare bedroom for us to stay in! We only plan to stay for a couple of nights so I think it will be ok then we'll stay with my cousin for a couple of nights and she's hoping to be able to come back to Sydney with us for a long weekend too so hopefully it will be ok. If my uncle can't cope we'll move to my cousins sooner.
DeleteGood thing you have a backup plan!! I am excited for you guys!!
DeleteYes, I doubt if there can be anyone in the country who doesn't personally know somebody who has had Covid in the past month. That said I can now think of half a dozen people who have failed to catch it from somebody they live with, so I do hope you are fine too. And Australia - now that is really something to look forward to.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was getting less prevalent here, we seemed to go through a 'everybody has it' phase a couple of weeks ago then nothing. So far she says she's not too bad and the hardest part is being shut in the bedroom alone lol!
DeleteI hope your daughter isn't too poorly with it, and that you and W don't succumb. Exciting news that you've booked your flights!
ReplyDeleteYes, fingers crossed! I'm very excited to be going to Australia. I only hope their weather gets better by the time we go, they've had a dreadful summer of warm, humid, rainy weather. However I'll enjoy it no matter what we get!
DeleteOh, I'm sorry to hear about the Covid, but so excited about your trip. I am in the process of getting my own tickets to the UK to see my daughter. It has been three years.
ReplyDeleteMy daughter is still feeling very poorly but thankfully she's fully vaxed so hopefully she'll start to feel better soon. It will be three years by the time we visit our son since we saw him too. I thank goodness every day for Facetime. Enjoy your visit.
DeleteI'm sorry to hear about your daughter and hopefully you guys remain negative. A trip right now sounds like heaven, even planning a future trip.
ReplyDeleteSo far so good for us. Hubby tested himself this morning before going to help his brother fix a problem in his sisters bathroom and he was negative. I enjoy planning a trip but nearer the time for going I just want to be there!
DeleteHey there, found you via comments on Debby's blog. I am in Australia on the south coast of NSW about 1.5 hours from Sydney. I'll do a bit of reading back of your blog to find out more but just added you to my feed reader. ;)
ReplyDeleteHi, thanks for popping by. Our son lives in Sydney, it's a beautiful city. I've been over and read a couple of your posts, you write beautifully. I look forward to reading some more.
Delete