A Lockdown Day
Today was what I call an eventful day. In lockdown times any event is eventful but today has been exceptional and I feel my day has summed up lockdown.
First thing I had to rush upstairs to make a birthday card for my aunt!
She was 80 today and should have been heading to Southampton to go on a Mediterranean cruise with the prospect of a party on her return. Instead she is locked in at home with her daughter with no thought of a party any time soon. My brother and his wife, my husband and I and my mum were all going to make our own way to her house to sing happy birthday to her from the garden and she loved it. It brought her to tears. At the moment, I cannot think to make any cards and this month and next is the busiest in our family for birthdays! Having just spent £20 in a local shop to get 7 cards to send to a friend, there is good reason for me to make my own cards with all the 'stuff' I have accumulated for years. So, the card was duly made - at the very last minute! Her present was a hamper stuff from our house! I had a wicker basket and filled it with some stuff we had surplus to requirement. A bottle of wine and a box of truffles we were given at Christmas and do not need to drink/eat! A candle from the White Shop, a box of body lotions and potions I bought in January in Tesco when they were selling them off for £2 each - 'they will do for emergency presents' I thought picking up 3 sets - good call. I was very pleased with myself and wrapped the whole lot in a lovely ribbon I had in my vast collection of ribbon. I also made a card for my husbands friend who's dad died from Covid last week. He wasn't close to his dad, so I wasn't sure of the tone of card to make so I decided to send one saying 'We need a bit of rain to see a rainbow' and made a rainbow from coloured papers, and inside 'so I'm sending you some sunshine' and made a big sunshine. I hope its ok.
Then this afternoon was a neighbours funeral. He was a very popular man and would have had a very big Catholic funeral in normal times but today, loads of cars arrived at our street and everyone got out and lined the street for him. It was lovely yet sad. His wife was thrilled to see so many. The funeral director walked in front of the hearse as they went away. It was very poignant. While we were all out my neighbour across the road told me her cat had been put to sleep yesterday. It was 19 years old and she'd had it from a kitten from just after her parents died. She's devastated but knew the time had come. So, I went in after the funeral and made another card to let her know we're thinking of her and know how hard it is to lose a loved pet.
In among this I've checked on my mum a couple more times as she's having a bad day, I've adjusted her Asda online order twice, I've walked the dog and I've made lunch and dinner. On lockdown this has been a very eventful and busy day.
On a very sad note though, our son sent us a text tonight to say he was stuck on the motorway on his way home from work as the police had closed all lanes while they tried to talk a man down from a bridge he wanted to jump from. For some people this situation is horrendous and they can see no way out. I've since checked the traffic report and the road opened again fairly soon after our sons message, I assume that means the police were successful. I hope the man gets a lot of help for his worries.
We've a lot to be grateful for. x
First thing I had to rush upstairs to make a birthday card for my aunt!
She was 80 today and should have been heading to Southampton to go on a Mediterranean cruise with the prospect of a party on her return. Instead she is locked in at home with her daughter with no thought of a party any time soon. My brother and his wife, my husband and I and my mum were all going to make our own way to her house to sing happy birthday to her from the garden and she loved it. It brought her to tears. At the moment, I cannot think to make any cards and this month and next is the busiest in our family for birthdays! Having just spent £20 in a local shop to get 7 cards to send to a friend, there is good reason for me to make my own cards with all the 'stuff' I have accumulated for years. So, the card was duly made - at the very last minute! Her present was a hamper stuff from our house! I had a wicker basket and filled it with some stuff we had surplus to requirement. A bottle of wine and a box of truffles we were given at Christmas and do not need to drink/eat! A candle from the White Shop, a box of body lotions and potions I bought in January in Tesco when they were selling them off for £2 each - 'they will do for emergency presents' I thought picking up 3 sets - good call. I was very pleased with myself and wrapped the whole lot in a lovely ribbon I had in my vast collection of ribbon. I also made a card for my husbands friend who's dad died from Covid last week. He wasn't close to his dad, so I wasn't sure of the tone of card to make so I decided to send one saying 'We need a bit of rain to see a rainbow' and made a rainbow from coloured papers, and inside 'so I'm sending you some sunshine' and made a big sunshine. I hope its ok.
Then this afternoon was a neighbours funeral. He was a very popular man and would have had a very big Catholic funeral in normal times but today, loads of cars arrived at our street and everyone got out and lined the street for him. It was lovely yet sad. His wife was thrilled to see so many. The funeral director walked in front of the hearse as they went away. It was very poignant. While we were all out my neighbour across the road told me her cat had been put to sleep yesterday. It was 19 years old and she'd had it from a kitten from just after her parents died. She's devastated but knew the time had come. So, I went in after the funeral and made another card to let her know we're thinking of her and know how hard it is to lose a loved pet.
In among this I've checked on my mum a couple more times as she's having a bad day, I've adjusted her Asda online order twice, I've walked the dog and I've made lunch and dinner. On lockdown this has been a very eventful and busy day.
On a very sad note though, our son sent us a text tonight to say he was stuck on the motorway on his way home from work as the police had closed all lanes while they tried to talk a man down from a bridge he wanted to jump from. For some people this situation is horrendous and they can see no way out. I've since checked the traffic report and the road opened again fairly soon after our sons message, I assume that means the police were successful. I hope the man gets a lot of help for his worries.
We've a lot to be grateful for. x
I hope that suicidal man was indeed talked down. Suicide is a permanent solution to what is often a temporary problem, poor thing. And I think your aunt's present sounds lovely. When you get to be 80 you usually don't actually need anything do you, so for someone to go to such trouble to put a "pandemic" basket together is just lovely!
ReplyDeleteMy son said he was talked down thank goodness. How awful it must be for some people just now and they can't see an end to it or a way out. Just awful.
ReplyDeleteMy aunt was very pleased with her present and I think happy to get something other than flowers and champagne! I believe she got a lot of those! x
Your cards are amazing, I loved the rainbow idea. You certainly had an action packed day. It did make me laugh at your present drawer, mine is sadly in need of a few new additions. I hope the candle didn’t have a card in it like mine did from my much loved ‘mum’... the card said Happy Christmas Audrey, love Margaret!?! Oh and the chocolates, I once got some truffles from a friend and when I opened them they were very crumbly, ‘Odd?’ I thought, I’m quick like that! I looked at the date and they were three years out of date. It must be me!?!
ReplyDeleteLX
You do make me laugh! To be honest I didn't check in the candle, you've got me thinking now! My ex sister in law once got a jumper as a gift from my mum and when she took it to M&S to exchange it they told her they'd stopped selling it 2 years previously!! I guess regifting is ok as long as everything is still in date! The chocolates I used were in a hamper from Christmas so were still in date! x
DeleteI'm relieved he was talked down. I really hope he's getting the help he needs. This is a difficult time for all of us, but much worse for some, particularly those who are already fighting demons.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad that your aunt enjoyed her surprise visit from you, and the gift you rustled up for her sounds fab.
The neighbours lined the street for my mother-in-law as she'd lived there for 54 years, and was the oldest person in the street. When my sister-in-law said that she was going to be ' walked out' I wondered what she was talking about. I'd never seen it done before, but it was appreciated by the brother who lived with her.