Highlights

My son told us a story the other day and it made me think of the film Finding Nemo.  I got hubby to dig out the dvd for me and I plan to watch it today while I iron shirts and stuff.

My son told us he and his partner are planning a trip on their boat to 'The Heads'  to hopefully see some whales passing by.  Apparently at this time of year it is possible to see lots of whales moving from one area to another.  I believe they go between the Antarctic and Australia/Fiji.  Anyway, they had set out to do this last year and got to The Heads, which is effectively the gateway from Sydney Harbour out into open ocean, took one look at the endless ocean with no land anywhere in sight and said 'nope, too scary, we're turning back'.  I immediately imagined the scene in Nemo where Nemo's dad stops him from swimming 'off the edge' into the scary ocean beyond.  He's been sailing for much longer now and feels he may be brave enough to try again.  I'm not sure how I feel about it either, it sounds a bit too scary to me too, but on the plus side, with a lack of cruise ships sailing into Sydney at the moment at least it should be quieter than usual.

This was us on his boat last year when he took us out one evening to watch sunset over Sydney Harbour.  Just over a year ago life was very different.   We visited Sydney; we visited my aunt and uncle in Adelaide (my aunt has just this year been diagnosed with dementia); we visited our son in law in Dubai (he has now moved to a smaller house and couldn't accommodate us now); my dad died; my eldest son had his big 40th birthday party; my grandson left school and turned 18; my daughter and her family went to Orlando in Florida to celebrate both her husbands 40th and her son's 18th and my youngest came home for Christmas.  These are just a few of the highlights.   I wonder what this years highlights will be when we look back next year! x

Comments

  1. How things can change in such a short space of time huh! Gosh when I think of 2019, I retired in January, my brother died in January, I went to Sri Lanka in March and actually stayed at the hotel in Colombo where the bomb failed to detonate, my son had his civil wedding in March. Off to Cinque Terre in April, then the big wedding party in July. It was non-stop, and now the highlight of 2020 has been getting my hair cut last Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that must have been scary staying where a bomb had been planted. There's a lot of what if's in your mind I think when that happens. We were in Fiji when the bomb exploded in Bali and some of our family thought we were in Bali at the time because we'd hummed and hawed about whether to go to Fiji or Bali and eventually decided on Fiji (thank goodness!) but you then start to wonder what if.....
      Lets hope we have some good highlights to come this year yet, we're not quite half way through the year so fingers crossed! x

      Delete
  2. That was when I first met you last year as you were debating about the trip. A year, that is amazing, I am sure you are pleased you went now? Long trips like that suddenly don’t seem so appealing, how long before that changes? Who knows? Whale watching how lovely and now as you say seems like a good time.

    My google photo’s when I open it give me reminders of what happened a year ago, four years, ten, fifteen... trouble is it can be so sad when I see my lovely cottage I walked away from! Onwards and upwards without regrets...

    Be well

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MG, you have inadvertently reminded me of a holiday of a lifetime. It was the mention of whales... so thanks for that.

      LX

      Delete
    2. Yes I remember that debate - you were very adamant I should go and thankfully I took that advice! We had a wonderful trip and as you say, who knows when we'll be able to return again. We had hoped to go in February 2021 but thats looking a bit unlikely at the moment. Maybe later next year though with luck. Photos are a great way to remember what went before but as you say, they can also be sad too. I'm sorry you still miss your cottage, however it sounds like your new place is a fairly good stand in, and Ludlow sounds like a lovely place to live. I loved your holiday of a lifetime story on your blog! Trust you!! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered