Wondering!

During the lockdown I've been lucky to have a garden I can potter in.  I love my garden.  It's very private and I have it just the way I like it.  I have a greenhouse where I start all my vegetables and grow on tomatoes and cucumbers and I have a hut to keep all my tools in. 
I realize I'm very fortunate especially at the moment when so many people are stuck at home with less space than I have.  I enjoy being in the garden.  I've always craved light.  I think I would curl up and die if I had to live in a basement with little light.  I remember one time at work we were moving to a new office.  I wasn't keen on the move as it was from a bright industrial estate near my home into the city centre on the 4th floor of a horrible building.  I used to take my car and park at the top of the town and walk down into town and the nearer the office I got the darker it became as the tall buildings began to cast their shadows.  In the building itself I asked to have a window seat just to be able to see the sky.  Then I got a new boss who decided my seat was in a better position than his so when I was off for a couple of days, he moved me to the darkest part of our area in the office.  I was devasted and promptly burst into tears on seeing it!  I was probably a bit hormonal at that time but the rest of the staff immediately offered me a position nearer the windows which I was very grateful for. The new boss and I never did get on.  Thankfully we were offered redundancy/early retirement shortly after that and I jumped at the chance to escape.  I still crave light.  I open the curtains as soon as I waken, I love sitting in our conservatory, I love being outside and I'm very fortunate to have a south facing garden which gets the sun almost all day (when there is any!).

It's funny, I often wonder why I feel this way.  I find it hard to comprehend how some people prefer to be indoors or prefer the dark winter days.  Do you ever wonder if we really have lived before?  Did something happen to create our likes and dislikes in a previous life?  My childhood was pretty idyllic.  I was a child in the 60's.  I had freedom to disappear to play all day only returning for food or drink or bedtime.   I lived in a house with a little river just over the fence from us and a huge field with fallen trees and long grass to play in.  I had loads of friends and we all played outside all day and my  bedroom had a large window so I don't think my childhood deprived me in any way of light.  Perhaps its just likes and dislikes like food and people and places, its just a preference we develop.  I wonder things like this all the time! x

Comments

  1. My sort of a garden and rhubarb too... lucky you. I haven’t ever been able to grow rhubarb, mint the same. Maybe because I pick it too much? I love light and being outside. This lockdown finds me sat at the garden table sewing, we eat outside and generally potter. My current garden is interesting and quite small, a pond is planned at some stage. A garden is a place of safety and reflection. Be safe.

    LX

    ReplyDelete
  2. The rhubarb grows despite me! Every now and then I fling some compost at it but other than that it pretty much takes care of itself. I also grow mint in a pot. Its a thug that takes over the world given a chance but it seems happy to come up year after year in a pot near our door! I love being in the garden too, I am so grateful to have it, particularly now! Take care, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the light too and I'm lucky that I get sunlight all day long in my home. And oddly enough it sounds like we had the same kind of childhood, although I grew up in inner city Birmingham. But we were gone all day long and just knew to be home for tea. Believe it or not but in the six row houses where I grew up there were 40 kids!!!! so there was never any shortage of someone to play with. Aahh memories of all those scabby knees and dirty faces. I guess sunlight meant freedom didn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps that's what it is, sunlight=freedom. It's strange that I just realised my children are all quite different too regarding this. My daughter would happily leave her curtains closed all day and my youngest son moved to Australia to get even more sunlight! He loves the outdoors and the sun and just being outside whereas the other two don't really care that much! They all had the same upbringing, not quite as much freedom as we did, but they had lots of friends nearby and a large garden which at that time was all set out for their amusement! They had swings and a climbing frame etc. 40 kids in a small area is a lot of kids. It wasn't a quiet area then lol. We moved from a city tenement to the suburbs when I was 5 so we all met up at the field to play all sorts of games, often including falling in the river while trying to walk across a fallen tree! I think that might have been just me! x

      Delete
  4. We are fortunate, those of us with gardens...to have those necessary things, air and light

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered