The Big Hair Debate.
I'm in a quandary as to what to do with my hair.
I loved it being short.
It was very low maintenance - at home.
However it was more high maintenance in that I had to go to a hairdresser every 6 weeks to get it cut to keep it looking nice. I hate going to the hairdresser.
I also loved having longer hair as I had very well behaved hair which if I dried properly, turning it under with a brush, when I washed it, I could get away with only washing it twice a week and it kept in style - manys a morning I got up and went to work and forgot to brush my hair, but you wouldn't really have noticed it was so well behaved. Not to mention I had it coloured too, so perhaps it wouldn't be so nice longer as grey hair. I didn't need to go to the hairdresser very often except when it got coloured (sometimes I did it at home). Did I mention a hatred of going to the hairdresser?
One decision I definitely don't need to make is colour. I'm staying firmly grey. I hated colouring it and I'm glad to have been able to stop!
When my hair grew back after the chemo, to begin with it looked like it was going to be curly grey hair. Much as I wished for curly hair when I was younger, curly grey hair is not a look I was aspiring to. It sorted itself out over time and grew in very straight. I can bend it a little bit at the ends but if I try anything else it just unravels itself back to straight within the hour. This is good. It saves me using tongs or straighteners or rollers or any other paraphenalia, other than my brush and hairdryer, even gel and wax are wasted on it, it just goes back to straight again in a very short time. I don't even put conditioner on it any longer. I wanted a shampoo with less chemicals in it and once I found one I stopped with the conditioner. I tried a conditioner again recently to see if it made a difference to my hair and it didn't so I won't waste any more money on that.
So, to the quandary. During lockdown when hairdressers realised they were worth much more than they or anyone else realised, no-one has been able to get a haircut so we all look a bit, shaggy. It was 'the look'. Up here in Scotland, hairdressers are only opening again this week. My daughter has one of the first appointments! She can't wait. I on the other hand have no such thing and I'm not sure I want one either but my hair which has been okay so far has suddenly lost all shape. I've been trimming it myself with a bit of help from hubby at the back. I decided to grow it longer again. A chin length bob would be nice I think but I need to let it grow out to get it to the one length and this is the problem. I feel my hair is thinner than it used to be but I'm not sure if it just feels like that because there are still some layers in it which need to grow down. The photograph above was taken last year and I'm reminded how much I liked it, however, it does not look like this now - thankfully I have no photos of me as it is now! This is not an accident!
The question is, do I leave it and keep trimming the ends myself until it's all one length or do I admit defeat and find a hairdresser to get some shape back into it? I can't make up my mind what to do. x
I loved it being short.
However it was more high maintenance in that I had to go to a hairdresser every 6 weeks to get it cut to keep it looking nice. I hate going to the hairdresser.
I also loved having longer hair as I had very well behaved hair which if I dried properly, turning it under with a brush, when I washed it, I could get away with only washing it twice a week and it kept in style - manys a morning I got up and went to work and forgot to brush my hair, but you wouldn't really have noticed it was so well behaved. Not to mention I had it coloured too, so perhaps it wouldn't be so nice longer as grey hair. I didn't need to go to the hairdresser very often except when it got coloured (sometimes I did it at home). Did I mention a hatred of going to the hairdresser?
One decision I definitely don't need to make is colour. I'm staying firmly grey. I hated colouring it and I'm glad to have been able to stop!
When my hair grew back after the chemo, to begin with it looked like it was going to be curly grey hair. Much as I wished for curly hair when I was younger, curly grey hair is not a look I was aspiring to. It sorted itself out over time and grew in very straight. I can bend it a little bit at the ends but if I try anything else it just unravels itself back to straight within the hour. This is good. It saves me using tongs or straighteners or rollers or any other paraphenalia, other than my brush and hairdryer, even gel and wax are wasted on it, it just goes back to straight again in a very short time. I don't even put conditioner on it any longer. I wanted a shampoo with less chemicals in it and once I found one I stopped with the conditioner. I tried a conditioner again recently to see if it made a difference to my hair and it didn't so I won't waste any more money on that.
So, to the quandary. During lockdown when hairdressers realised they were worth much more than they or anyone else realised, no-one has been able to get a haircut so we all look a bit, shaggy. It was 'the look'. Up here in Scotland, hairdressers are only opening again this week. My daughter has one of the first appointments! She can't wait. I on the other hand have no such thing and I'm not sure I want one either but my hair which has been okay so far has suddenly lost all shape. I've been trimming it myself with a bit of help from hubby at the back. I decided to grow it longer again. A chin length bob would be nice I think but I need to let it grow out to get it to the one length and this is the problem. I feel my hair is thinner than it used to be but I'm not sure if it just feels like that because there are still some layers in it which need to grow down. The photograph above was taken last year and I'm reminded how much I liked it, however, it does not look like this now - thankfully I have no photos of me as it is now! This is not an accident!
The question is, do I leave it and keep trimming the ends myself until it's all one length or do I admit defeat and find a hairdresser to get some shape back into it? I can't make up my mind what to do. x
Well, I too had to put up with the shaggy look during lockdown as my hair started heading towards my shoulders, but felt that perhaps I quite liked longer hair. No need for the regular six week appointments plus I hoped it would make me look younger(!). However, after a certain point, it was no longer easy to just wash and go and I ended up with it pulled back into a band and clip all the time to keep it off my face. The longer length also seemed to accentuate my sagging jawline! So, as soon as our hairdressers reopened I had it all cut off - even shorter than it was before! Now, it is super-easy to look after, although I will have to go back every 6 weeks for a trim.
ReplyDeleteIt's the washing and going that I really enjoyed with short hair. I got used to washing my hair with every shower, rather than wearing a shower cap to keep my longer hair dry. I think there are clearly plus and minus points for whatever style we choose! x
DeleteMine is very short at the moment, and is really easy to look after. I'm lucky that I can leave it longer between cuts as I just wear it in its natural curly state when it's grown out a bit. The curls are very forgiving, but it was beginning to drive me mad- I just didn't feel like me. I love going to the hairdressers... not quite as much with all the Covid precautions in place, but I still enjoyed it when I went.
ReplyDeleteI think if I could leave it longer in between cuts it would be better to keep it short but unlike you I really don't enjoy the hairdressers. I'm pretty sure my hair will at one point drive me mad and I'll then wish I'd made an appointment - I feel it may be a while before I can get one now anyway! x
DeleteI got mine cut quite short yesterday and it feels such a relief. I cut it twice myself during lockdown and it was ok as it has a bit of a wave in it. The advantage of longer hair of course is that you can tie it back. And I have 3 friends who have had breast cancer (all doing well thankfully) and when their hair grew back after chemo they ALL had curly hair and it looked fabulous. The curls didn't stay for long but they looked lovely during!
ReplyDeleteI didn't like my curls, I felt very old ladyish with them and when my hair was very short and curly my daughter gave me her tiny staighteners to straighten it out! I think a lot of people are going quite short just now for some reason. I may well end up following suit! x
DeleteThis is what I have decided on. I am growing my hair, I went to the hairdressers last week and she is trimming it every nine weeks for it to grow long enough for me to scrape it back and clip it up. My hair used to be curly, as I have got older it has straightened. Alright down, I do tend to look a little like a witch, especially as it is getting thinner... Am I bothered? Not much. Since lockdown I feel like all the wheels are coming off. I have always prided myself I looked good for my age... not anymore!
DeleteLX
I think I'm going to grow mine out too. I reason that as I've got this far during lockdown while it was okay (!) to look a riot, I might as well carry on and see what happens. If I hate it I can then get it cut. I'm trying to pull myself up by the bootstraps just now and stop looking like a baglady again!! xx
DeleteYou and me both kid!
DeleteLX