Something Happened!
Having just said I'm not doing this just now because nothing is happening. Something then happened! Our dog got sick. I'm worried sick about him. It's become a 'be careful what you wish for' moment in life.
I was just saying to hubby the other day, 'I wish Sonny wouldn't curl himself round my chair when I'm at the table, he's a blooming nuisance'. What I would give today for him to curl himself round my chair. He's lying in the living room looking very very sorry for himself and no wonder. It appears he may have a liver condition. It's making him extremely lethargic, he doesn't know how to use his legs to get up or down, he can't jump up onto the couch or a chair and can't even manage any stairs. The vet said his tummy is very tender but she daren't give him anything yet for it as his urine sample we were thankfully able to get, showed signs of a liver problem. They have taken blood from him and the test results will determine if he's to be treated with medication or if he has to get further tests on his liver and a scan. A scan will mean an anesthetic which he's never had before.
He's very very quiet and isn't moving about very much and this for us is very unusual, especially for me. I've become very used to him following me everywhere. If I'm upstairs he is, if I'm in the living room he is, in fact if I'm in the bathroom he comes right in with me! It's amazing how much I'd become used to his constant presence and now I'm in tears looking at him so quietly lying on his side in one spot well away from me.
Of course sods law means I feel it might be my fault too. Just about three weeks ago I knew he was fed up just getting chicken thighs with most of his meals so I came across some liver in the supermarket and thought 'dogs love liver, I'll try that'. He did indeed love it. I also found he loved some frozen fish which is easy to 'cook' in the micowave which means if I forget to thaw his chicken, he can get the microwaved fish. So now we alternate between fish, chicken and liver and what did I read on the internet today? Of course - liver and fish have high something or others that can exacerbate any liver conditions!
We've still no idea how bad this is or if it might just need a course of antibiotics and a painkiller. The vet said she'd phone us and so far she hasn't. I'm hoping this is a good sign. Surely if they need him for more tests tomorrow they need to phone us today? The surgery is now closed as they are on shorter hours due to the virus, we tried phoning them earlier but clearly they closed a bit earlier than they advertise. So all we can do is wait and see if they phone us now. I wish they would cos I'd like to be able at least to give him a pain killer at least.
Dogs, they become as precious as our family and we worry so much about them, especially as they can't tell us what is wrong. He's not been right for a few days but it was one of those couldn't put your finger on it sort of things. We held off on the vet as we weren't sure exactly what was wrong other than he wasn't himself. It's not much to tell the vet is it. Now I wonder if we should have gone anyway.
I'm keeping all my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for a mere infection that can be easily treated with anti biotics. The liver is going in the bin though. I'll have to come up with something else.
I'll let you know. xx
Updated: Vet phoned just before I published this. All tests were negative! So, its still that thing you can't put your finger on. Inconclusive is a very disappointing diagnosis too as it means you've no idea what you're dealing with or how to fix it. Not only that, because she phoned us after hours, we can't even get a painkiller for him tonight. I'm not impressed. Now we've to wait till tomorrow when we've to decide if we want him to have further tests or if we want to try a wait and see with painkillers. I'm tempted to change to a new vet!
I have only read this, what a worry for you both. Poor Sonny, the worse bit is they can’t tell you exactly what the problem is, then at least you would have a clue as to the possible reason. The vet doesn’t seem very good either, didn’t she suggest the next step?
ReplyDeleteYou have certainly made me think about giving Ellie fish! I alternate between casseroles of chicken, mince and fish with lots of veg and she gets kibble to nibble in a bowl.
Keep us posted, try not to worry, stupid thing to say! BIG hugs.
LX
We ended up taking Sonny to out of hours vet in Glasgow. They took him in and said they'd need to keep him in as he was in so much pain. They had him on a drip all night and thought he was a bit better today, however this afternoon they phoned to say he's back in more pain again. They've tested for Pancreatitis and who knows all what but all is negative, he's had a basic scan which showed nothing. They are now bringing in specialists with a view to doing a ct scan and more indepth testing. The vet had a long chat with hubby on the phone to try to get as much info as possible. He'll be staying in again tonight. I'm distraught. I'm so worried about him. It's like one of your children being ill. Not to mention you can't even be with them to comfort them. Anyway, thats it for now. I'll let you know if there is any change. Thanks for the hugs! xx
DeleteI Really hope Sonny will be ok. It;s horrible when our furbabies are ill, especially because they can't let us know how they are feeling.
DeleteThankyou. It is all the worse when we can't find a cause for it however last night they have now brought in the chief vet and he thinks it might be his back thats the problem so fingers crossed some anti inflammatories will help him and get him home. Thank you for commenting. x
DeleteOh damn, I'm so sorry. I do hope you've gotten better news by the time this posts!
ReplyDeleteThankfully last night the vet phoned to say they think it might be Sonny's back that is the problem. It's likely a slipped disc/sciatica type thing. It's very painful I know but they have started him on anti inflamatories so hopefully that will help. Fingers crossed! x
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Scarlet, thank you. Sonny is home now and we've registered him with a new vet who he'll see tomorrow as he'll need more pain meds. He's doing ok and seems a bit zonked out with all the medication but is doing ok. He's eaten his dinner which is good as he'd not eaten since Tuesday night, he refused to eat at the vet hospital. Hopefully he'll be back to normal in no time. xx
ReplyDeleteI really hope that Sonny will feel better soon and that if it is his back, that they can sort him out sooner rather than later.
ReplyDeleteSonny is much better thankyou. His pain killers have done the trick and he's almost back to his old self. x
DeleteGreat! So pleased for you all
DeleteOnly just caught up with all this. Poor little fella, and poor you too. It is such a worry when they are poorly . Glad that you finally know the problem and it is fixable.
ReplyDeleteThank you Frances, he's been for his final check up today and passed with flying colours! Thank goodness! x
Delete