Sad.

 My friend died today.  

It was very quick and completely unexpected - well in so far as it was not expected quite yet.  She had lung cancer and in January was given about a year to live.  We thought she might make it through Christmas but it wasn't to be.

She had quite an advanced cancer back in 2015 which they managed to get on top of with chemo and radiation, however it was clear it had already spread when they had to remove quite a lot of lymph nodes before they found one clear of the cancer.   That said, she had 4 very good and healthy years after that.  Her hair grew in pure white but with a completely black 2 inch wide stripe down the back!  It was amazing and brilliant!  She and her husband had a few amazing holidays.  They did a train tour round Europe, travelling, at one point on the Orient Express.  They did a tour of India,  had a trip to Italy and many other smaller trips to islands in Scotland, England and Wales too.  She was a member of a large choir and enjoyed singing all over Scotland with them and she even passed a few grades in singing lessons.

We met in 2015 at a watercolour class in Strathclyde University.  She was diagnosed with cancer while in the class and attended as many classes as she was able to in between chemo.  We gelled instantly and then a group of 8 of us stayed in touch after the class and although two have now dropped away the rest of us continue to meet up (well, we did before Covid, now we do zoom lunches!) every 6 weeks or so for coffee or lunch and a visit to a local art gallery.  She was a great support to me during my own brush with cancer and because of her own experience she was able to understand more of what I was going through not only physically but mentally.  Cancer messes with your mental health too.

Then last November she was attending a family wedding in Vancouver in Canada.  Travelling alone as her husband had another event to attend in the Highlands the same weekend!  On the flight over she felt quite unwell, and by the time she arrived her relatives were so worried about how she looked, they took her straight to the emergency room at the hospital where they said her lung was full of fluid.  They drained it and advised her to turn right round and get home and get to a hospital here.  However being the person she was, she wanted to attend at least the speech part of the wedding as she was the only family member attending on her nephews (the groom) side and had a speech prepared.  She managed to attend the service and went for a rest until the speeches were to be read and she attended long enough to say her piece then retired to bed, flying home the next day.

In hospital when she got home they discovered her lung was full of fluid again and a few tests later showed she had lung cancer.   She undertook chemo yet again but this time to no avail.  The cancer did not respond this time and in March she was sent home to live for a few months.

She's organised her funeral, she's sorted out all her affairs and given away many precious gifts to friends and family.  She and I had a Whatsapp call every week since lockdown began back in March.  The last time I saw her in real life was the day before the big lockdown when she told me she had a hospital appointment and couldn't get a mask anywhere.  I had just recently found a website with instructions for a mask and I ran one up for her and rushed over to her house on the other side of the city to  make sure she had it in time.  I've only seen her on my phone screen since then.

She was doing really well though.  It was her and her hubbys 40th wedding anniversary last weekend and they ordered in a lovely meal from a local restaurant.  Her pain seemed to be well under control with the drugs the MacMillan nurses sorted for her and she was as bright and lively as ever on our calls, albeit quite weary at times.   I had a call booked with her for today at 2pm.  I was looking forward to it.  I had things to tell her (so often, because we're going nowhere and doing nothing it felt like I'd nothing to say to her, although we always managed to blether for an hour!) then at 11 am my phone rang and it was her husband.   I expected him to tell me she wasn't feeling up to our call but it was to tell me that very suddenly on Saturday night she got very unwell and the nurses came and called for an ambulance.  By Sunday they knew she was very ill but the hospital continued to test her to see if it was an infection they could treat to let her have a bit more time.  Her husband was allowed to stay with her in her room and he stayed with her and said she was bright enough but struggling to breathe.  She died early this morning.  Her husband said it was very quick and very peaceful at the end and for her I'm glad it was so quick.   For her husband and son and daughter in law and all her friends and family I'm not so glad, it feels too soon.  We didn't expect it, although we knew we should expect it.   

We've not been friends for long but she was a very good friend, I'll miss her.

Comments

  1. Oh, I am so sorry. She sounds like a wonderful person who seems to have taken joy from every day she spent and at the same time seems to have spread some of that joy to others.
    I too have experienced the pain of losing a very close friend much too soon. It doesn't go away but eventually seems less difficult to live with. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. She was a lovely lady, full of life and definitely taken too soon. Knowing this was going to happen doesn't take away the devastation when it actually happens but at least we know she went knowing everything was taken care of. xx

      Delete
  2. I'm so so sorry for the loss of your friend, particularly as she doesn't seem to have been that old. There is no rhyme nor reason (or justice) sometimes is there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. She was 70 earlier this year. Strangely I've lost three friends in three years and Liz was almost 70, Marie was 70 and now Sandra had just turned 70. I only noticed this today when I went to reply to this. Sandra took every precaution to stay as healthy as possible and when you see how some people mistreat their body there really is no justice at all. x

      Delete
  3. Even though you knew it was coming the shock of it must have been so sad. She did sound an incredible woman, even attending her family wedding in Canada alone shows the mark of a courageous lass. You will miss her. Your friendship sounds very similar to mine with Audrey. The funny thing in life is some people you meet you just click with, she was one, and will leave a huge hole in your heart.

    BIG HUGS

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the shock of it happening when she still looked so well took me by surprise. I think I had been expecting our facetime calls to become phone calls first as she got weaker but she was still perky and cheeky and funny, which in retrospect is the best thing. I will miss her hugely but I'm glad it was relatively easy for her. Yes it's funny how some people we just click with and others we're not so sure about for no apparent reason. Thankyou for the hugs, I miss hugs! xx

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry to read that your friend has died. It happened with J's aunt, and with P last year. Both seemed quite well, but then the cancer took them suddenly, which was a shock. I lost friends at 13, 17 and 19 and even now, so many years later I still think of them often and wonder what sort of men they would have become. Thinking of you. Xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered