Anxiety - A National Pastime

Are you excited for the vaccine?  I can't tell you how much I look forward to being invited to partake of it, not once but twice apparently.  I've heard through the grapevine that one of my sisters in law will refuse to take it, she is anxious about it apparently.  She has two grandchildren with autism.  Both her son and his wife, we all believe, are on the scale of autism too though its never been discussed in the family so we're not sure if s.i.l. realises it.  We're pretty sure she's refusing the vaccine on the grounds of the conspiracy that surrounds autism and the MMR vaccine.  I don't know enough about either autism or MMR to comment but I do know that vaccines on the whole do more good than harm.  Yes there have been terrible consequences in the past and I realise that could easily happen again but I think it's a judgement call we all have to make and mine is that I and my family will be safer if the vaccine means we would only get a mild case of Covid because of it, should we catch it.  I also think a lot of countries will demand to see proof you've had it to travel for the foreseeable future so her love of going on holiday to Europe may be curtailed too.  That said, Brexit might do that anyway!

I've been feeling a bit anxious myself lately.  I know I'm anxious when my tongue starts to burn!  Many years ago my tongue was giving me a lot of bother.  It felt the way it does when you eat something too hot and your tongue burns for ages afterwards.  I couldn't understand it.  The doctor couldn't understand it.  I was convinced it was cancer or some other horror on my tongue.  After much toing and froing to the doctor, she eventually referred me to a consultant at the dental hospital.  He took one look at it and said 'are you feeling anxious or depressed'  I wasn't depressed but I was under a lot of pressure at the time and there was a lot of stress about it and of course having a sore tongue was making me anxious too so 'yes' I replied and he said, that's what's wrong!  He told me when you're stressed you have a tendancy to hold your tongue tightly pressed against the roof of your mouth.  That, over a period of time, makes the tongue sore and then it takes a while to settle down again.  He said he could prescribe some anti depressants which would help but I said no thanks, now that I know whats going on I'll try to deal with it myself and I did.  However to this day, when I'm anxious or worried I get a sore and tingling tongue and it about drives me nuts!  At the moment its a double whammy.  My tongue is burning but I also have a small spot on the tip of it and of course can I leave it alone with my tongue - NO!!  

Part of my anxiety is to do with my mum.   She and I are constantly arguing at the moment.  We're not used to speaking to each other on a daily basis (at least we weren't!)  I used to phone her about twice a week and visit with her once a week, or more if she needed anything.  However, when my dad died last year I took to phoning her more often to check on her and just as that was easing a bit it was Christmas and New year, hard times to deal with when you've lost someone so I was back to phoning her daily again and of course we'd just eased off on that when the first lockdown came along and it was back to daily phonecalls.   This time it's continued as she's now convinced she'll die and no one will know if I don't phone her!  She seems to think if I don't phone her to check she's alive she'll somehow lie dead or dying for days!!  There is no logic to this as she has many kind neighbours, my brother speaks to her all the time and has her for dinner three times a week, my cousins phone her about once a week, her own brother phones her from Australia once a week.  Yet, I'm charged with phoning her daily even though I can't do right for doing wrong!  It's stressing me yet I know I have to keep doing it.  I don't want to fall out with her, but I can't help but bite the bait.  Hubby says to count to ten and carry on like nothing happened but it's not in my nature.  I don't know what she wants from me, but I have to find a way to deal with this that won't make my tongue sore!  

I need to go now and make some tea.  It's almost bedtime for me.  I was going through a phase of sleeping very badly.  Waking really early and not being able to get back to sleep but it seems to be righting itself again thank goodness.  I hate not being able to get to sleep or waking really early unable to get back over to sleep.  I am very grateful that it's not something I have to worry about very often.

Wishing you all a good nights sleep.  Take care. xx


Comments

  1. Morning Martine, sorry to hear about your tongue, it does sound horrid. At least you have a jolly good excuse with not only the situation we all find ourselves in, but the demands your mum is putting on you. Have you tried saying to her I won’t phone tomorrow or just not phoning? It would appear she has got you all dancing to her tune. Cut yourself some slack lassie. File the experience away for future use for when you get old and needy... long way off yet though!?! I’m having the vaccine, when it is offered, why wouldn’t you? Be well, keep safe and hang loose. Enjoy the old codge... you’ve got a good’un there.

    HUMUNGOUS HEALING HUGS... COVID-free too...

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello L, tongue is feeling better today. I'm trying to keep things as unconfrontational as possible with mum. Today she told me the doctor gave her cocodamol for some shoulder pain (long story can't be bothered explaining!!) and instead of my usual 'advice' I just said thats nice!! I think it threw her off guard a bit but I plan to keep to this as much as possible for now! The old codge is not a bad soul, I'll keep him! xx

      Delete
  2. I had a text from the doc's surgery the other day saying that they are planning the vaccine campaign and will be inviting me for an appointment shortly !! Yayhay I thought..bring it on. However, their idea of shortly might not be mine! We shall see. I shall get it before my OH as I am just 75 and he is not until mid Jan !! He might need to be persuaded though....I shall recruit the sons to do that as he won't listen to me!
    Hope that your tongue feels better soon. (I think I clench my teeth in the night when I am stressed)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've no idea when our turn will come for the vaccine but bring it on! I clench my teeth too as I've been known to waken up with toothache which goes away once I'm up and relax my mouth! Gosh, I'm beginning to sound completely neurotic!! x

      Delete
  3. I don't think my turn for the vaccine will come around until some time in late summer, given my age. I am slightly worried as our Health Department has advised against the vaccine for those with a severe allergic reaction to medicines or food. As I have a bad reaction to penicillin I am not sure if I can still get the jab.. I shall find out eventually I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, I hadn't thought of an allergy to penicillin being a problem. My mum is allergic to penicillin, I hope it doesn't stop her getting it!! x

      Delete
  4. I am sorry to hear about your mom, not sure why you are tasked with the daily check in!! These moms sure get more stubborn as they get older.

    I am all in on the vaccine, I trust the science behind it. I have no kids, no partner, nothing to lose per se if I get ill. That autism and vaccine connection has been debunked numerous times, folks would rather believe fake stories, than do actual research. As for your tongue, that is interesting and frustrating. Usually if I am anxious, it presents as a discomfort in my stomach and a suppression of my appetite. So I don't eat much for days on end. Do you do breathing exercises or other stuff to ground yourself when you feel anxious/stressed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are about stubborness and old age coming together! I have the app Headspace on my phone which I use. I think the problem is mostly through the night when I'm asleep though. x

      Delete
  5. I just don't think about the vaccine at all. I don't actually want it (I never choose to get the flu jab either) but if they call me to get it I'll go. That being said, it's likely to be a long wait as I'm under 65 with no comorbidities (that I know of) and retired so can isolate from the world if they ask me to. I'm sorry to hear about your mom though. I guess her anxiety is making her put more pressure on you, but at least your tongue is letting you know what's up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never took the flu vaccine either till I got full blown flu a couple of years ago when we returned from Australia. It was horrible. I couldn't lift my head off the pillow for about 4 days and it took weeks to feel normal again. I lost a lot of weight too as I couldn't eat (I wouldn't recommend it as a diet though!). After that I decided I'd pay to get the flu jag every year. So, I have to say I'll happily take the Covid vaccine and the sooner the better! I think you're right that my mum's anxiety is causing a lot of what's happening with us. It' s very difficult times and must be much worse when you're 86 I suppose. I feel really bad about it but seem unable to do much to remedy it. x

      Delete
  6. I haven't given much thought to the vaccine, other than J can't have the Pfizer one. It's disappointing as some of his colleagues have been vaccinated to use it up before it goes 'off'.
    You have my sympathy where your Mum is concerned. After almost 26 years of dealing with mine since my dad died, and there only being me, I often find myself with an aching jaw and neck from the tension.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered