Films I Love
I've been watching quite a lot of movies lately. Mostly Christmas ones if I'm honest! I do love a good smaltzy Christmas movie where it all ends happy ever after! Today I watched The Bishops Wife, the one with Cary Grant and David Niven in it. How I love that film. I like the newer version too with Whitney Houston and Denzel Washington - The Preachers Wife. Of course there's always It's a Wonderful Life - a wonderful film and I love all versions of Scrooge. Scrooged is pretty good too. Then there's The Grinch and Christmas Chronicles (but not the second one!). Klaus is really good and of course Miracle on 34th Street (all versions!); Elf is good and all the Santa Claus movies are good. I also love White Christmas and Arthur Christmas. I'm sure there are others and this is not to mention all the Hallmark type movies that there seem to be an endless supply of!
Strangely though, when it comes to movies at other times of the year I love a good disaster movie! I'm thinking here of Interstellar, The Day After Tomorrow, Gravity, San Andreas, The Impossible, Independance Day, The Martian, Apollo 13 and one of my favourites Armageddon. My favourite animated films are Up, Finding Nemo, Inside Out, Coco, The Lion King and many more!
What brought this on? A photograph I saw in my folder from when we went to see the stage show in Edinburgh of The Lion King. I loved this show. The puppetry is amazing and the costumes to die for. I'd love it if you could get a recording of the stage show which is very different to the cartoon version.
Isn't it funny how one thing leads to another when you clearly have too much time on your hands!

I liked Toy Story and the Lion King. They are all so clever aren't they. I wrote on my blog not so long ago that when my son was about 10 he looked at me one day and said "oh mommy, you're so lucky, you have such beautiful hair"! I nearly fell over and just said "thank you sweetheart, that's very nice to hear". Should have stopped there because he followed it up with "yeah, you look just like Simba in The Lion King"!
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! Kids, they can be so cruel. Some of the Disney films are so clever, I think as adults we enjoy how clever they can be as well as some good storylines! x
DeleteWe watched Home Alone last night. It never gets old! I love Brigadoon, 7 brides for 7 brothers and White Christmas. Disney/ Pixar favourite has to be A Bug's Life. We re-watched Gladiator last week, another that I love and can watch over and over. I'd waited years for The Hobbit to be made into a film, but it was a huge disappointment for me. Possibly my favourite film of all time was one I saw at Keswick film festival : The Dark Horse. You could have heard a pin drop, and everyone stood and applauded at the end. It was outstanding.
ReplyDeleteHome Alone is so good and very clever. I never felt the others that followed were quite as good. I never got to grips with A Bugs Life. I don't know if it came out at a time when the children weren't interested or what but I don't think I've watched all the way through. Isn't it fabulous when a film makes you want to applaud. I felt a bit like that watching The Greatest Showman. I felt very depressed as my dad was dying in hospital when it came out then was smiling from ear to ear on the way out of the cinema. The music and dancing were so uplifting. I listened to the soundtrack every night travelling down the motorway to visit dad in hospital to set me up for seeing him. I see it's on over the festive period so I can't wait to see it again, although my cd is almost worn through!! x
ReplyDeleteI LOVE White Christmas! And It's a Wonderful Life as well. The Santa Clause, is a favorite too. Love Actually is there as well, even with the shoddy plotlines. Miracle on 34th Street, the 90s version I love too. SIGH. No wonder I get so gloomy this time of year, too much romance in the films, and none in real life!
ReplyDeleteChristmas movies are very idealised and can be quite depressing if you feel your life doesn't measure up! They make me wish Santa was real and wishes could come true! I guess its just an escape from real life, life does not always end happily ever after! x
Delete