How?

My eldest sons partner has mumps!  My son called me this morning to ask if he'd had mumps and I checked his baby book which has a few illnesses recorded but no mumps.  This does not mean he didn't have mumps it just means that if he did I didn't record it anywhere!

Following on from my previous post about worry, this worries me!  The way I see it, if you can catch mumps during a pandemic surely you're not doing something right?  Surely all the precautions you're taking to keep out Covid would keep out mumps too?  She maintains she's been nowhere and done nothing yet I know they visited various members of her own family on Christmas eve and Christmas day and came to us on the 27th and also to my mum.   The thing is for her to have the face swelling now (she had been feeling under the weather and headachy for a few days before) she's actually on the mend!  She caught this last week and was contagious then and not so much now. 

It worries me because if we are doing all the right things to keep out Covid, why is it not keeping out everything else too?  Does this mean things can sneak in or is my son's partner not being quite as careful as she thinks.  I think we may all be guilty of thinking we're doing more than we actually are.  We might think we're going nowhere and doing nothing but is it just relative to what we normally do? I wonder if that's why so many people seem to be flouting the rules although they don't think they are.  In my own family I feel my daughter saw far too many people on Christmas day.  Her husband has a large family and although they only went to his mums house, at various times there were others there, never more than the allowed 3 households at one time, but more than the 3 over the span of the day.  My daughters mother in laws house is huge so social distancing is very doable but.......

Today I spoke to one of my neighbours and she told me a friend of hers she hadn't seen since March died recently of Covid.  The friend was super careful throughout, rarely leaving the house and washing all the time, yet she still got it.  She was taken to hospital on a Saturday and was dead by Tuesday.  It's so disheartening.  On the one hand I feel uplifted at the idea of the vaccine but on the other, is the light at the end of the tunnel just another train coming at us?!

I think I'm maybe slipping into end of the year blues.  However, its a very blue sky sunny day, very cold and still all white from the snow so I will determine to enjoy the day and put these worries behind me, in a more Matthew kind of way!!

ps.  The photo was taken at my mums in April.  She had bought a load of one use masks and left one on the floor which the dog pinched!  You can see from his expression he wasn't amused when I fixed it on him (not quite properly as I didn't want to cover his nose!)

Comments

  1. I think we're probably all guilty of not being as careful as we think we are. I know I rarely go out (just shopping and walking) but I still think it's possible to catch it. Damn pandemic. Can't wait for it to be over. But I love the picture of puppy - he just looks embarrassed to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there are times when I perhaps forget to wash my hands when I come home from somewhere or forget to wash down the handles on the doors when someone has been in so I guess we are all a bit guilty :( I can't wait for it to go away too, I just hope it does! The dog had the mask in his mouth, I just adjusted the straps to fit round his ears and he was convinced I was going to steal it off him! That's his, this is mine, don't mess with me look. lol. x

      Delete
  2. I suppose that, however much care we may take with protecting ourselves, we are always going to be susceptible to catching something every time we venture outside.
    Roll on our turn for the vaccine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you JayCee. Roll on the vaccine. I'm so glad the Oxford one has now been approved as it's likely to happen a bit sooner now. x

      Delete
  3. The minute you see anyone else, you have a chance of getting it/ anything. But the mumps?! I didn't even know it was a thing anymore. If you gathered with family, you don't know where the family has been before you go and see them, if you don't distance, share food, don't keep masks on. I hope you guys are ok though. I agree with Treaders, we're all guilty of not being as careful as we need to be, with few exceptions to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit, I've not heard of the mumps for a long time either! We are all fine and hopefully will stay that way. You too. x

      Delete
  4. I really thought mumps was a thing of the past. The last person I remember having them was my sister in 1979. My girls were both vaccinated against it. Hopefully your son did have them when he was young.
    I got a virus in April but put that down to J having to work without PPE at the hospital. KL had the same viral symptoms exactly 4 weeks later. I rubbed my eye in the supermarket queue last week and then thought 'oh no, I shouldn't have done that after touching things'. I blame the fact it was 7am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard of mumps for years either, the only thing I can say is she was in Mexico at the beginning of December, I don't think the incubation is that long but who knows! I should add here she wasn't on holiday, her brother has MND and he was going for stem cell treatment there which isn't available here and she and her uncle accompanied him.
      I know what you mean about rubbing your eyes, every single time I wear my mask my nose starts to run and I have to wipe it which entails all sorts of jiggery pokery trying to wipe it without removing my mask! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered