ELDERLY!

Do you sometimes feel older than at other times?  Some days I look in the mirror and think 'who is that old lady' and others I think 'I look not bad for my age'.  However the thing that bothers me most is a new habit I seem to have developed that I am finding hard to kick it and that is quietly humming to myself.  I find myself walking along the road with the dog and realise I'm humming some tuneless tune!  I don't know when it started or why.  Perhaps I was finding it too quiet in the world.  I don't tend to have the radio on much during the day, I've never really found a channel I like enough to listen to for any length of time.  I can now ask Alexa to play a certain type of music so throughout December I often asked her to play christmas music and it was a lovely mixture and any I didn't like I just told Alexa to move swiftly on.  I like quiet.  I think having had three children close in age I was always used to a noisy house and as they all left home and it got quieter I found I enjoyed the quiet and I still do but this humming thing is driving me nuts!  I can stop it any time, but I don't seem to be able to sustain it.  It comes right back when I'm not looking.  Is this an old lady thing?  Perhaps it's just me!  I have tinnitus which is much more noticable when its very quiet so perhaps I started humming to drown that out, now I don't know which is more annoying!  I think at the moment we've all got more time on our hands to think and over think things.  The days I feel I look old are usually ones when I'm not feeling particularly happy, when my hair needs washed, when I've no make up on (most of the time these days!) when I'm pale from lack of a good night sleep or when I just feel down on myself or the world at large.  I definitely look and feel better when I've had a good night sleep, got makeup on, taken a bit more care with my clothes (I'm living almost 100% of the time in elastic waist trousers and polo neck jumpers at the moment) and my hair is freshly washed and styled.  On those days I wonder why I don't make more effort all the time but frankly, that would take too much effort!  Especially just now when I'm going nowhere and seeing no-one!  Is this a slippy slope into decreptitude I wonder?  And just to make it worse, the government keeps telling us we 'elderly' people over 60 need to be more careful out there, we're at risk.  ELDERLY!!!  Elderly is at least 20 years older than I am and probably always will feel that way!  :D x

Comments

  1. I know just what you mean about looking/ feeling old. I try not to look in a mirror apart from when I am drying my hair or putting the small amount of eye make up that I am doing these days. No need for much when I am only walking the dog!
    The worst thing is when my son facetimes me and suddenly this ghastly old woman appears close up on the phone screen.
    I read this a few weeks ago......" isn't it weird when you are the same age as old people" ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's when I'm on a Whatsapp call to my son I notice it most too! It's amazing the difference wearing make up makes though, I've been too lazy to bother and only use it now very rarely!
      I always remember an old neighbour of ours saying to me on return from a hospital stay 'they put me in the geriatric ward, thats for old people I don't know why they put me there' He was 92 at the time and I don't think he was joking!!

      Delete
  2. I believe it was Karl Lagerfeld that said something along the lines that when a woman wears sweat pants she's given up. He might be right. When I learned that he had died not so long ago I was sitting here in sweat pants, thick socks, baggy T-shirt and no bra. Not sure what he would have made of me then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I reckon I've given up too then! I wear joggies most days now and in fact I've just ordered a new pair from M&S!! No hope! x

      Delete
  3. Yep, as far as Covid is concerned or the NHS I suppose too, once you're 60 you're on the elderly scale!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered