Hoarder?
Today I am sitting here in my craft room surrounded by 'stuff'. To be fair, I've used most of it one way or another recently but I've realised I'm a messy worker! I can't work if its extremely tidy but neither can I work if its too messy. Where does that leave me?! On my desk at this moment is this laptop I'm typing on, two desk lamps, glue, ink, pairs of glasses x 2 one pair distance, one pair close work, four balls of different coloured wool, a pair of knitting needles with a completed dolls arm still on it, my address book, a post office easy weigh thingy, a packet of giant cheesy wotsits, a small can of coca cola, a knitting pattern for a doll, parts of completed knitted doll, an empty jar, an ink pad, scissors, a half made birthday card, my sewing machine, a roll of kitchen paper, some scrapbooking papers and an album, two packs of photographs, a pencil case, a rolling pin, some alcohol wipes and a tin of coloured pencils! My desk is pretty crowded right now and when I went to tidy it yesterday I realised I was still planning to use most of it (perhaps not the coke or the wotsits!) and left it all where it was. However, it's annoying me and I feel I must get some of it off my desk or I'll go mad! I'm very contrary and I think the more space I have the more space I seem to need.
It was the same with the attic. You might remember one of the goals I mentioned was to tidy the main part of the attic this year. Today a friend on Facebook asked if anyone had PS3 games they could spare for his children to use. I immediately responded I was sure we had some. Can I find them now? No! I've crawled the length of the attic searching in all the boxes and they are not to be found. After I did that, hubby said he vaguely remembers we gave those games to our grandson. He's got a new PS whatever they are at now, but he has an old PS3 that he maybe keeps at his dads house so hubby might be right. The searching for them got me all in a dander though! I was grumping and moaning about having all this stuff that is no use to man nor beast, but when I had the thought to just take it out with me and throw it out, those stupid thoughts that stops us all doing so much clearing out came whizzing by: 'but I might need it again' 'I can't throw that out, there's nothing wrong with it' 'can I sell this, it might be worth something' 'what if we have more grandchildren'. Let me tell you (now that I am out of the attic and have no intention of going back in any time soon) I will not need any of it anytime soon, if there's nothing wrong with it I might try to sell it, it's not worth much if anything and if we have more grandchildren they will not want to play with old cars, dinosaurs, an old garage or any of the other toys we kept! I will keep a few but we don't need boxes and boxes of them.
The word hoarder is coming to mind!
I managed to clear some stuff from my attic, but still have too much in Narnia ( the eaves space accessed through the wardrobe). I need to sort more stuff out, but the conservatory is half full of boxes and bags of stuff for the charity shop, and John has got seeds starting off in there now just to add to the clutter!
ReplyDeleteI love spring flowers. I bought my first bunch of daffodils of the year last Saturday.
Our spare bedroom is the same as your conservatory with several bags of stuff for the charity shop. I'm holding off on starting my seeds yet, I find they get too leggy if I start them too soon, being a bit further north than you, our stuff is generally later. I'm thinking mid February to get them started. It is so cheering to see the spring flowers coming into the shops now. I doubt the daffs will be out anytime soon in the garden, its been so cold so far this year with more to come apparently. x
DeleteOddly enough I have actually found stuff in my basement that I have now been able to use recently, which kinda screws me over for getting rid of a lot of stuff! Ages ago I gave up on the idea of trying to sell anything because I realized I didn't need the money and I certainly didn't want to spend the time and effort to get it sold, so all that stuff now goes to the charity shop. But you're right, our "hoards" do begin to get us down don't they!
ReplyDeleteIt really does take time and effort to sell stuff doesn't it and people are so cheeky sometimes and want stuff for next to nothing. I'd rather give to the charity shops too but they are not accepting anything at the moment and when they were, it was only clothes they wanted. Hopefully they will reopen again soon and I can at least get rid of the stuff I've already sorted out! x
DeleteI just cleared off my work desk, I see more brown than before. Do you have any old trays? Like inbox and outbox trays? Maybe if you get some and stack them up with all the items in - that way you have some organized chaos :)
ReplyDeleteThe type of stuff I usually do wouldn't fit in a tray, plus normally I wouldn't be doing so many things at once! Part of the problem at the moment is that different groups I'm part of have issued different challenges to keep us occupied during lockdown! I've to knit a doll which is why I have all sorts of wool on the desk and I've to paint a picture every week for the art group, I also have a few birthdays coming up in February so need to make cards for them and I just got my photographs printed to put them in an album so have that stuff lying around too, not to mention the sewing machine is out because I need to make a few more masks. My daughter prefers the larger size ones I make and has requested a few more so I need to get my act together and get that done too, normally my machine is kept in a cupboard and wouldn't be out. I plan to get some organisation going today. I'm feeling a bit fed up today, so what better to do than some tidying!! x
ReplyDelete