Photographs

I have millions (possibly even billions) of photographs.  My brother was a photographer although more of a videographer and I always carried a camera and have photos of every possible occasion. 

In 2000 I discovered a craft called Scrapbooking which made no sense to me initially as I didn't realise scrapbooking is what Americans call making a photo album.  I used to make scrapbooks as a child but they had 'scraps' in them as well as other ephemera like concert tickets or photos from magazines I particularly liked.   The reason I remember it was 2000 was because we went with our children for the first time to the USA on holiday, to Florida, and there they had huge craft stores where I was in heaven and came across all the stuff needed to create a scrapbook with not only favourite photos but with stickers and phrases all printed out ready to stick on not to mention wonderful background papers to stick them onto.  I believe the whole thing started with Mormons having to document their lives and they started adding photos and little receipts, relevent items and always a sentence or two about who was in the photo and the time, date, place etc for future generations.  From this a whole industry grew up with all sorts of stuff to decorate the pages of the albums which were usually 12" x 12".  I already had created many photo albums but they literally had the photos displayed in them with only very minute detail of the who, what, where and when so I gathered as many supplies as I could afford to carry back to the UK and started documenting our holidays properly.  I absolutely loved it and I'm very proud of the albums I made, not least the one I did of my MIL's life after I was given her box of photos when she died.  I've no idea why, but I fell away from scrapbooking.  I think it was around the time I got my first iphone.  I no longer had need to carry a camera with me, I had one on my phone!  So I stopped carrying it and therein started my problem.  I rarely go back and look at my phone photos.  I used to download them onto the computer then after an update along the way, it became much harder to download them so I more or less stopped doing it at all.   I have loads of photos on my phone that would be relevant to use on my blog but either I don't have the phone to hand when I'm doing it or I can't be bothered going through the hoops I need to get them off the phone, not to mention having to look through all the photos on the phone to pick the ones to download.  All the jokes and stuff people send me in Whatsapp save to my photos too so there's loads to sift through.  I keep thinking I should 'just do it', then I get distracted and don't.  I think its quite sad that for many years our life is documented in glorious technicolour and it seems to stop round about 2010. 


I wrote the above back in November 2020 and left it in drafts.  I came across it again today when I was piddling about on the computer doing nothing in particular!  Funnily enough since then I've discovered I can actually really easily transfer my photos from my phone to the computer.  My problems started because when I attach my phone to the computer it automatically asks me if I want to download my photos which I was saying yes to then it asked if I wanted to download all the ones I had since the last download which again I said yes to. Then it would say, sorry we can't do this and wouldn't download anything.  After much investigation online I discovered that the reason it was always failing to be able to do this is because some of the photos I have on my phone which look as though they are right here in front of me are apparently on my cloud!   Then I discovered I could just download the photos manually to my photo folder and it has opened up a new world to me to know that I can just tell the computer no thanks, don't download them automatically I'll do it myself thanks!  And like in the olden days when I put my memory card into the computer and told it where to put them, I now do the same.

 


I open my photos folder and tell the computer to put my photos where I want them to go.  Its been very liberating!  We do get caught up in the magic of computers and forget we can override them and tell them exactly what we want!!  Slowly but surely I'm getting my photos off my phone and onto my computer where I can actually use them for what I want.  Happy Days!

Comments

  1. I discovered a while ago ( a son told me) that there is a way to prevent whatsapp photos going into your phone photos, but I decided to just carry on deleting them every day. There are the occasional ones that I want to keep there....grandson for instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For a while I didn't save Whatsapp photos but because my son is in Australia he often sends photos and videos to our family whatsapp so I decided it was easier to just let them all save. Its a bit of a nuisance sometimes as others tend to send whatsapp jokes etc but it doesn't really matter and now that I know how to save them to the computer I can pick what to keep and what to delete a lot easier.

      Delete
  2. At the last craft fair I went to they had a stand on scrap-booking and I took her details as I think it would be lovely to get into it. But, when I thought about it, I feel I have already filled up so much of my time in retirement and didn't want to commit to taking any more courses. I guess I could have attended one or two lessons and then taken it from there but I gave it a miss that time. Maybe next time. Heck, with all I want to do there will never be enough time in the day (although I reckon I'd get more done if I got off the computer more often). Love that picture of pup though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need to do a course on it, just look on You Tube! There is one I particularly recommend thefrugalcrafter Lindsay Weirich
      She's very good and if you look at her videos she has them listed under each subject as she primarily does painting now but she has a scrapbooking section which gives you the idea. Its basically just using an album to put your photos in safely and more interestingly. You don't need to buy all the 'stuff' although I love buying the stuff I have to say!! I find if I go a trip now I save all the little tickets and ephemera that I might have normally thrown out. I keep maps etc and use them on the page and the only criteria is that you make sure your glue or double sided tape is acid free. Some of the old photo albums that had glue already on the page for you were not acid free which is why they go all yellow and horrible and affect your photos. Other than that just go for it and make sure you put who, where and when it was thats it! Alot of people are starting to use A4 loose leaf folders for it too and once I've used up all the 12 x 12 albums I've currently got I'll probably do the same. You might also find some scrapbooking shops online will have tutorials. I just got some laser cut outs from a company in the UK called
      www.sunshine-scrapbooking.co.uk They specialise in travel stickers and papers and although I can make up words myself with my computer or with stickers its nice to put a few 'professional' ones here and there too. I'll show a page or two when its done, the stuff I got was all for our Australia trip in 2019. Bet you weren't expecting this tome as a reply!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that recommendation. I started looking on Youtube last night (what did we do before the internet?) so I'm sure I'll get some ideas there. The lady I watched (an American lady but I can't remember her name) was also very good and stressed acid-free glue also. I'm just sorry so many of my old photos are falling to pieces but we've got to start somewhere haven't we!

      Delete
  3. At the last craft fair I went to they had a stand on scrap-booking and I took her details as I think it would be lovely to get into it. But, when I thought about it, I feel I have already filled up so much of my time in retirement and didn't want to commit to taking any more courses. I guess I could have attended one or two lessons and then taken it from there but I gave it a miss that time. Maybe next time. Heck, with all I want to do there will never be enough time in the day (although I reckon I'd get more done if I got off the computer more often). Love that picture of pup though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, just came back to say I've just gone to take a look at Lindseys page and because she posts something every day you have to scroll down really far to find her scrapbooking pages it might be as well to just put Scrapbooking in the You Tube search, there is loads! xx

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered