Why Are Men So Bad At Shopping?

Yes, I know that is a very sweeping statement but all my friends agree with me so I feel that the likelihood is that men really are bad shoppers!  Is it lack of practice?  I know I only ask my husband to get stuff if I can't get out for it.  Is it that they are much more single minded than we females?  Again, sweeping statement but if I give hubby a list of items to buy and for example put down gammon on my list, I'll get exactly one pack of gammon and it will probably be smoked which I never buy.  If I put gammon on my list, I'll pick up a few cold meats (including the gammon) to do us for a few days.  Today I asked hubby to bring me a pack of thin sliced steak from Lidl.  Unfortunately I didn't hear my mobile ringing over the noise of the sewing machine and the music I was listening to at the same time and it didn't occur to him to try the landline which I'm more likely to hear as it's louder!  When I noticed the missed call half an hour later I called him (he'd long since left Lidl) and he said they didn't have thin cut steak, only frying steak.  Was the frying steak one large piece I asked, no it was three thin pieces he said, that was what you were supposed to get I said, well you said thin cut steak not frying steak he said!  He's right, but really the steak was thin, he knows, well, I assume he knows I usually get the three slices and fry them, he's been in the kitchen while this is happening!  How did he not think this is what I wanted?  Am I expecting too much?  He never ever thinks to get anything other than whats on the list then comes home and says why did you not put shaving foam on the list, because I didn't know you needed any I'll say well I do he says, so why did you not just get it then, cos it wasn't on the list!!!  He's an intelligent man.  He fixed huge computers for major companies in his day, he's very handy at all other things, ask him to fix a washing machine and he's on it, ask him to put in a new kitchen and he's on it but clearly shopping is not in his dna!  Just as well he's so good at other things so I'll keep him but I'll never rely on him to do the shopping or we might starve! x

Comments

  1. My husband always did our weekly shop when I was working full time as he had much more free time during the week. That meant that he only bought what he liked and it also had to be the cheapest! I couldn't really argue as I know he would only say, Do it yourself then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose to a certain degree I buy what I like too, however, I usually ask hubby if he wants or needs anything before I go shopping! x

      Delete
  2. J is as bad. He'll ask if I bought cornflakes, or the plant based spread he likes as he's running out. I don't eat either of those things, and have told him umpteen times that if he doesn't tell me he's running out then I wont know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only just managed to get hubby to tell me when he's running out of the orange squash he likes. It's the only one he likes and you can only get it in Sainsbury which isn't my usual shopping place so if he doesn't tell me he needs it he won't have any! Finally, recently he started telling me when he was onto his last bottle which gives me a few days to organise going shopping in Sainsbury rather than my usual. It's only taken me 40+ years lol. x

      Delete
  3. When I was in hospital one time my ex took my two boys with him to do "a week's shopping". He spent €400, filled 3 trolleys and then went ballistic because we had nowhere to store everything. AND a lot of the stuff he bought was fresh stuff so just got wasted anyway. No wonder he was (and still is) always broke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess he didn't take a list then?? lol. xx

      Delete
  4. Tim is not a shopper either. At least he's gotten better about asking for help if can't find something. He used to just come home and shrug his shoulders. "I couldn't find it..." But we all have our talents. He does a great many things that I can't do. After 21 years of marriage, we've fallen into that rut. He is what he is. I r what I r. PS: He always tells me he's out of cheerios when he's out of cheerios. I tell him that I've done the shopping for the week which means he's got to go pick them up since he forgot to tell me. He knows where to find those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that used to be my husbands problem, he'd tell me he was out of things after I'd been shopping! After 40+ years he's beginning to learn! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered