Are We There Yet?
I feel we are getting towards the end of the nightmare that has been Covid 19. I know we're far from out of the woods yet, but from all the talk from our great leaders, it would appear we should expect things to be opening up again come April/May. I hope that is true and yet........! I find it hard to imagine myself going into a shop or a crowded place without a mask on. I find it hard to imagine feeling comfortable in a crowded place full stop! Will I be able to go to into a cafe and sit shoulder to shoulder next to someone I don't know? A lot of cafes and tea rooms are small and previously felt 'cosy'. Now they feel too small! I'm not sure when I'll feel comfortable using public transport again either. The 'art girls' are hoping we can meet up for coffee and a real life meeting rather than Zoom once we're allowed to but everybody has a different take on when that will feel comfortable. Today I said to hubby that our dog has been badly affected by lockdown. I came home one day to hear him howling from our bedroom! He's 8 and has been used to being left for up to 5 hours prior to all this. He used to sleep happily while we were out and just went to bed when he knew he wasn't coming with us. I fear he will now suffer separation anxiety. I'm trying to leave him for short periods on his own but its not easy as I've nowhere to be! However I'll have to make more effort or it will only get worse, probably with me too! Photo below is an 'art girls' trip to Pittenweem in 2019
I need to get more productivity into my life and that includes getting the garden under control again. It includes getting some clearing done in the house. My art friends have been very busy painting and drawing and I haven't really. I've still not finished knitting my doll, my friend has! However, today while the weather was quite nice, I got out and tidied a bit of the garden and cut down a few bushes that have succumbed to the cold winter. It felt good to be outside working. I've also done a repair job on a painting I did a couple of years ago! I painted a glass panel using glass paint and put the finished effort into the bathroom where the south facing window gets a lot of sun and I noticed recently a few of the colours had all but disappeared. So I put the panel in my craft room back in January with the intention of painting in the missing bits and there it has been ever since, so today when a shower of rain came on and I abandoned my gardening I came upstairs and dug out my paints and it is now restored to its full glory!
I'm led to believe the weather is to be quite nice for a few days now so I doubt much clearing will happen, I'll be out in the garden. There's a lot to do! I'm not planting any seeds yet as I've heard there might be another cold snap at the beginning of March so I'll wait till mid March to start planting. In the meantime I'll be cleaning pots, washing down the greenhouse - I cleared it out last week and clearing up all the debris that is lying around in the garden from overwintering. I've managed to clear out the pond a bit this year. Often I go to do it in spring only to find the frogs have laid frog spawn all over it, this year I beat them to it! My seed potatoes arrived today so they are now in egg boxes chitting merrily and my onion sets are waiting for the soil to heat up a little bit for me to put them in too. It's all hopeful stuff. Planning for the future, for plants to grow, for summer to come and some warm sunshine to cheer us all. And not least, hopefully, fingers crossed, touch wood and all that, the pandemic to be under control and freedom! I live in hope. I hope you do too.
I am crossing my fingers that vaccines continue to be rolled out quickly everywhere. I love your painting. Your poor dog, it is a tough adjustment for him and so many other pets (I suspect cats not so much :P) Do you know when you would be eligible for your vaccine?
ReplyDeleteI did see some friends last summer when restrictions eased up, but not too often and all outdoors. So I am hoping this summer we can do it again, and some of us may even be vaccinated !!
Me too, I hope vaccines are rolled out and are successful at keeping this virus at bay! Thankyou, I like my painting too! I like painting on glass I've done one or two but this is the first one that has faded in the sun, of course that could be because the others are not in direct sun! I think it shouldn't be long before I get my first vaccine. I was hoping to hear this week for perhaps next week, but nothing has arrived :( I'm hopeful that it will be done soon though.
DeleteI saw some friends in our garden during spring/summer/autumn last year when the rules allowed it but then it got too cold and then is wasn't allowed. I'm hoping the rules will allow a friend to the garden again soon though, its nice sitting outdoors with a cup of coffee to sort out the world! x
The glass painting is just wonderful! I am going to cross my fingers that you get a call soon for your shot. I am sure they have, but with so many people to see after and I am sure some folks who should have gotten it earlier but wanted to wait until they saw other people get it, plus Canada had 0 deliveries for a couple weeks! I think its disappointing all around that folks in charge are not rolling this out in an organized way.
DeleteWhen I picked my friend up from hospital yesterday she mentioned that the seasonal flu figures are way down because of all the covid precautions people are taking, so we got to talking about how we wouldn't mind continuing to wear a mask and hand sanitizing in food stores at all if we could keep those numbers down. It's not an awful lot to ask is it. Like you I don't think I will be rushing out to crowded places any time soon - or ever in fact as I never liked them to begin with. We'll see I guess, but you're right, there is a little "optimism" in the air right now. That's the promise of spring for you!
ReplyDeleteYes I've heard flu has all but been eradicated this year! Just goes to show eh. I think I'll still be wearing a mask in shops for the foreseeable future and perhaps next winter too if it means no bugs can get you! I'm not fond of crowds either but occasionally it's hard to avoid. I was out in the garden again today, its lovely to see the daffodils and crocus opening up in the sun. I love spring. x
DeleteI had a conversation with KL a few days ago about what things might be like. I've decided to continue to wear a mask in shops. It doesn't bother me, and it's preferable to getting other people's germs of any kind. I'm not sure how long cafes and pubs will be expected to be covid safe... our favourite cafe removed tables to make more space and the staff were masked and I felt safe there from July to November last year, even though we've consistently been in the top rankings of the highest rates in England. I'm not sure how I'd feel if those tables were replaced and masks were no longer required. Weve finished tidying the gardens now and had a couple of hours at the plots today. It certainly makes me feel better seeing things tidy!
ReplyDeleteI agree with you, I'll probably continue to wear a mask too, particularly in winter and in crowded or busy places - like on the bus!
DeleteIt's amazing the difference a bit of tidying makes to a garden. I have a lot of perenials and they just fall over and die at the end of autumn and look messy but I always leave it till Spring to tidy it as I work on the theory that it perhaps keeps the soil a bit warmer! I leave quite a lot of twigs and things lying about for the birds to use. I was just commenting to my neighbour today how lovely it was to hear the birds chirping in the garden today. Roll on the warmer weather! x