Busy!

Yesterday turned out to be a busy day!  Not in the sense that I was particularly busy myself but I had to take Leroy, my daughters dog, to the vet and it was very busy.   Dogs, like people, still need the attention of the vet during lockdown.  Obviously we don't go for minor things, but Leroy's ear had been bothering him for over a week.  He kept shaking his head and my daughter bought some ointment and cleaned his ear most days, however I began to suspect he had an infection.  It wasn't clearing on its own and I know how painful earache is so I phoned and they gave me an appointment that afternoon.  

The car park was almost full but you have to leave the dog in the car and go to the door to check in.  They have an outside desk and a receptionist takes your name and car reg. and goes off to tell a vet you're there.  You then wait in the car and the vet finds you and comes to take the dog away.  Leroy has spent a lot of time in the vet over the years, he had very severe allergies as a puppy and as a result his digestive system was a bit damaged and he had to go in a few times on a drip, so he's not fond of the vet!  He struggled to try and stay with me but the vet lifted him and off they went.  Turns out he does indeed have an infection and has been given some gel in his ear to clear it up.  The vet brings the dog to you and you put him in the car and join the queue to pay.  £59, just like that!


We took both dogs with us so that we could take Leroy to the park for a walk to cheer him up after the vet.  There is a park near us which a lot of joggers and families with young children use.  There is a cafe there and it's very popular when it's open.  We thought it might be quieter as it was 5pm.  The park is basically a flat path which follows the contours of the large lake, it's also exactly 1 mile round so a lot of people use it to get their steps up.  It's very pretty and the photo suggests its very serene, however had I turned my camera to the right or left of this view you would have had a very different impression!  We came in through the back entrance which is always much quieter however once we got out of the car we realised it was actually very busy.  There were loads of people.  There seemed to be crowds of people and children and although the path is fairly wide, it felt too narrow.  Hubby was unhappy and I was unhappy but as there are no other parks we could get to before it got dark and the dogs would be very unhappy if they didn't get a walk we walked round it.  Mostly we marched!  We couldn't get round it fast enough much to the dogs dismay!   It's quite awful to feel that bad about being among people.   I do hope that as the vaccine takes effect and we see the numbers dropping dramatically we feel able to get out and about among people again.  

Comments

  1. Yikes £59 for a (fairly) routine vet's visit! I knew they were expensive but ....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest I expected it to be more expensive! It's £35 just to go in the door! It's effectively private medicine, a consideration I don't think a lot of all these people buying lockdown puppies are realising! x

      Delete
  2. You got off lightly regards the cost at the vet! My schnauzer suffers with ear infections and this last time he needed the matted hair inside his ears clearing before they could even look in them,s o he was booked in for sedation and treatment. However, they also discovered 2 loose teeth so it was a full anaesthetic and nearly £500 !
    Our little local park by the river was heaving with folk this week too.....it's half term here, so the kids aren't chained to their computers at home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were shown how to 'pluck' our dog's ears when he's groomed so both my daughter and I do this regularly (thankfully the dogs let us do this, though not entirely happily!) and fortunately the ointment my daughter had been using had loosened all the wax and she had been able to get that out so I think it was fairly straightforward. Once they have to have anaesthetic its expensive. I was never to glad to have insurance when Sonny needed to be hospitalised recently.
      Our kids are all 'back at school' their mid term was last week but I think going at 5pm meant we got caught up in the parents taking the kids for a walk and a play at the playparks. Won't do that again!! x

      Delete
    2. I purchased a special tweezer like object to try and pluck his ear hair, but the first time I tried to use it I tweeked his skin ! Having had a lot of ear infections ( due to his hairy ears) he is very sensitive about even having his ears looked into.

      Delete
    3. I just pluck Sonnys ears with my fingers using a plucking motion like plucking eyebrows however if your dog gets a lot of infections its probably best left to the experts. I'm always worried I'll cut Sonny when I cut his hair cos if I did I don't think he'd let me do it again!!

      Delete
  3. Oof, glad the dog is feeling better! The last time I went for a walk (in January) it seemed SO busy, it was on a weekend and it was warm enough to be out there so... I just kept to myself and tried to avoid folks as best as possible, but you're right it is such a bummer to go and say to yourself "damn, there are just too many people here"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought I'd see the day when we'd feel there were too many people in a park! We managed to keep out of most peoples way thank goodness and to be honest, we should have known better, this particular park is often busy with families and joggers even when there is not a pandemic but it was the nearest one to the park and I live in hope!! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered