No Time Wasted
Looking round blogland I can see a lot of people are feeling much like myself. We're not exactly bored, we mostly have things we could/should do but we can't concentrate to do any of it. In some ways it's quite reassuring to read of other bloggers doing much the same as me. Hubby and I get up a bit later than we used to, sit for about two hours getting through breakfast while reading our phones for overnight news/whatsapps etc, if hubby's not working he gets ready and walks the dog/s (we have our grandpup during the week), I wash the dishes and get dressed etc, which can be at about midday sometimes!
I usually do some laundry, tidy round then make lunch which entails another hour of reading a magazine or book and meandering around the internet, wash the dishes then I just kind of wander through the rest of the day - I've no idea what I do but the day just floats by and its time to make dinner! Before dinner if hubby did the morning dog walk (I do it if he's working) I take the dog a walk but thats about it! Some of my friends are complaining of boredom but I have to be honest and say I've rarely felt bored. I can easily waste a lot of time on my laptop in my craftroom! I often go on to find some music to play while I 'do' something but then get sucked into the news or blogs or you tube and suddenly my day has gone! I keep thinking this has to stop. I need to actually 'do' something but to be honest, do I? Why do I need to do anything. For reasons of hygiene most days I do a bit of housework which keeps things ticking over nicely but other than that I think I'm going along with that saying 'time you enjoy wasting is not time wasted'! Maybe the less I feel I have to do something the more I'll want to do something. I'll let you know how that works out for me!!
I feel the same. "Guilty" for doing not much at all, but then why should I? I suppose I was so used to hitting the floor running when I was working and now I don't have to run anywhere, but I still have the guilt. I clean every week and shop and cook but not an awful lot more than that. I guess we just have to tell ourselves that we'll come out of this funk when this bloody pandemic is over. I hope so at least!
ReplyDeleteI think, like you, I was so used to being busy when the children were younger and at home that when I stopped work, I relished the lack of need to rush off anywhere and all but ground to a halt. However like you I do feel some guilt that I should be actually doing something constructive. I am getting over it I have to say but I think at the end of this pandemic I'll look back and think 'why didn't I tidy out that attic/those shelves/that cupboard/the hut while I had nothing better to do!!
DeleteYou just described me and my day!
ReplyDeleteA bit different today as instead of taking the dog for a walk, I have dropped him off at the vet for sedation and sorting out his hairy, infected ears. A mere £530 !!
I also have a jigsaw on the go.....that can take up some time. I think I will just do it for a few minutes, and then half an hour has gone.
I hope your dog is back home and feeling better for having bald ears now! Vets are so expensive aren't they. I thank goodness for our pet insurance although I do wonder sometimes if I'd be better just saving for the few occasions its been necessary! I hate to think what the premium will be this year after last years events.
DeleteJigsaws are the worst for swallowing up your time aren't they! As you say, you sit to do it for a few minutes and an hour later you're still there!
That sounds much like my day, minus the doggy bits!
ReplyDeleteI suspect it's quite a lot of peoples days at the moment! Sounds like you'll be a lot busier soon though with all the packing etc to be done! x
DeleteI have to say I agree with your premise. I go to work still right now, and then run little errands on the weekends etc. But the days where we have nothing to do, why do we have to DO anything?! This is a rare time where you can enjoy hobbies, watch tv, or do not one thing - and that is ok, because really, once we get back to the new normal, we don't have the luxury of quiet time like this (that's what i told myself during our first lockdown where I was working 4hrs a week max, anyway)
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of people are enjoying a slower pace of life at the moment. I do wonder if it will go back to the way it was before. I wouldn't like to have nothing to do and nowhere to go for ever but I do like the slow pace life has taken on at the moment. x
DeleteI'm an expert in ' being' rather than 'doing'. I sometimes do very little in a day other than watch TV, but as you say, if that's what I want to do, it's not a waste of time! Then again, it might also be a subconscious rebellion against my mother, who spent all my childhood cleaning, and judging people who didn't do the same. It's only now, in her 80s, that she's eased off a bit, but she still moved the living room furniture round twice in a day last week. Bloody ridiculous!
ReplyDeleteMy erratic cleaning schedule is definitely the result of my mum cleaning schedule when I was younger too. She had a routine and don't dare disturb it for anything! Years ago she used to clean for my brother and my dad took ill and I phoned to ask if she was coming to the hospital with us and she said she couldn't she still had the bathroom to clean!! To be honest it has actually helped her get through lockdown though. Her routine means she rarely complains of having nothing to do!
DeleteI on the other hand clean when needs must and just keep the place ticking over most of the time! x
It's hard for so many of us to just "do nothing" isn't it. I still feel guilty when I do next to nothing, but maybe just doing less is almost as good!
ReplyDeleteI agree, doing less is probably the answer. x
Delete