The Wonderful Worldwide Web!
I often wonder how we coped before the internet! Much as I curse it at times, it is so very good to have. I realise often what a shame it is that my mum doesn't have it. We tried to introduce my parents to the internet years ago without any success. My mum wasn't the least bit interested and my dad couldn't grasp it at all. He was a button presser! Give him a tv remote and he'd press every button till something happened and if it didn't it must be broken, not his fault! You're never stuck for something to do or watch if you have the internet and you can also learn so much! Today, for example, I refreshed my haircutting knowledge, learned previously during first lockdown - about a million years ago - in order to cut hubbys hair. I've cut it a few times since then but I wanted to check I was doing it right. It looks ok doesn't it?
I feel my mum would enjoy some of the stuff she could access if she'd only tried harder to learn how to use a computer but she even struggles to use her mobile phone. We tried to get her to use a smart phone during first lockdown but she couldn't get to grips with it at all, which was a pity as it would have been good for Facetime calls which she can't get with her wee simple phone. You also begin to realise how left behind elderly people are now if they are not computer savvy. You can barely buy anything now but they want an email address. We eventually had to create one for my mum as I was fed up getting stuff through for her on mine! I suppose we will be the next generation to get left behind though. I have no idea how to use Twitter, Tik tok, Snapchat or any of the other platforms the youngsters seem to use now and to be honest I have no interest in finding out. Perhaps I should rectify that or risk becoming my mum in future!
Just before I came on here I was researching trips in Australia. No, not to go back though I wish I could, but to start making up the photograph album from when we were there in 2019. I had kept a diary for about the first week of our holiday and clearly ran out of steam on it so trying to remember where we were and when was difficult. I like to have my albums in chronological order and also I couldn't remember the names of a couple of places we visited hence the research! Hubby reminded me that if I looked at the properties of the photos on our computer of the trip it would tell me the date they were taken and sure enough I was able to piece the whole trip together from that info. I also knew we'd visited an area of the Blue mountains and an internet search told me where we were and what we saw! I then investigated 'areas to visit near Sydney' and found out the other place we visited that I couldn't remember was The Royal National Park, where we got absolutely soaked to the skin - I remembered that bit! We had to stop on our way home to buy a shirt each as we were frozen in our wet gear! We passed an Aldi and these were the only shirts they had so we all got one each. I'm not putting a photo of me in one as it wasn't a good look! The guys looked ok in them though! I set out to start my album today however I'll need to go and get some dinner on the go so it looks like today was the research and tomorrow I'll get it started. I'm looking forward to reliving our trip.
One of the main problems with the internet though is stepping away from it! You can fall down many rabbit holes and a whole lot of time can pass you by without you realising it. I suppose today has been one of those days but at least at the end of it I have information I actually need. That can't be bad, can it??
* For now I have added comment moderation. No abusive comments will be published or read.
Very handsome haircut! My husband likes a very specific short cut. I'd fail. My MIL is 80 and pretty internet savvy for her years, but she doesn't trust it and would never shop. She has me order obscure things though so does see the convenience.
ReplyDeleteThankyou! My husbands hair grows really fast, he's had about 3 cuts to my one! He'd be like a wild man if I hadn't learned how to do it on You Tube. My mum took to ordering from the little shopping booklets that sometimes come inside the weekend newspapers just before Christmas, then she had a problem where they couldn't send her what she'd ordered and it took me ages to get through to her that they hadn't stolen her money! She was convinced the amount they said they would take over the phone was what had come out. I had to wait for her bank statement to come in to show her how it worked. It's put her right off! x
DeleteThat is an excellent hair cut. My husband is working on the wild man look at the moment. I used to cut his , and the sons' hair for years but he always wanted long hair and wont let me touch it ! I might have to get him to trim the back of mine soon. Just waiting for the huge swathe of rain or snow to get to us from Norfolk. ( We are Hertfordshire). I expect you already have snow.
ReplyDeleteThankyou! My sons wouldn't let me near their hair and actually my youngest cuts his own, has done for years. It's the back of mine that needs trimmed to otherwise it gets a bit mullet like! We don't actually get much snow in Glasgow. There seems to be snow all around us but not here, however it is incredibly cold and we've had a lot of rain recently. x
DeleteYou've done a brilliant job with your hairdressing. It looks professional to me. Hope you get your albums done today. Its definitely the weather for a nice job like that here today. We even had a snow flurry a few minutes ago. My mum had no interest in learning about computers, only has a basic phone and can't even update her TV when it needs re-tuning. The internet could have opened a whole world for her, and given her other interests, but she's always been closed minded.
ReplyDeleteThankyou, maybe I missed my vocation! I get a lot of practice on the dog. His hair grows all the time so it would need groomed every few weeks and at £40 a pop that's just not on. It's amazing what you can teach yourself to do with some motivation lol. We had a flurry of snow today but nothing much. It's very very cold though and the wind would cut you in half so its definitely a day to stay in and do some photograph albuming! Thanks again for the info. xx
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome. She's updated her post xx
DeleteI think your hubbie's hair looks good (and he's a handsome divil isn't he). I see what you mean about those shirts though. I can just imagine the three of you walking down the street in matching shirts like the Bobsie Triplets! My long-ago Australia trip is one I would like to resurrect on my blog too but since my camera was broken early into the trip and I don't have many pictures it will be hard going. Regarding the internet, we can't get my (ex) mother-in-law to even try to hook up, which is a shame as the kids would love to Facetime with her. Still, I expect you're right, we'll be "that generation" soon enough won't we. Heck I'm half way there already!
ReplyDeleteThankyou! I can't wait to tell him he's handsome lol! Yes, those shirts weren't a good look but we needed to change out of our soaking clothes as it was over an hours drive home and although it wasn't cold outside, it wasn't pleasant in wet clothes! You think you'll remember holidays etc for ever but you really don't, that was why I set out with the intention of keeping a journal - that failed miserably! Lesson learned for next time though. Yep we'll be 'that generation' in no time'. Technology seems to move faster and faster each year. x
DeleteYour husband looks adorable! (your son too, but i digress) I haven't cut my hair since 2020 - it needs a huge chop, since I've dyed it three times :O My 91 year old grandad uses email, and whatsapp. My step dad while he doesn't use a phone regularly, can at least answer the cellphone when it rings, and regularly uses the Internet to look up stuff on Youtube etc. It's too bad your mom's been put off learning how to use it ;(
ReplyDeleteThank you for your kind remarks - my husband and son will be well pleased when I tell them of all this admiration lol. It's wonderful your grandad is able to use email and whatsapp. My elderly aunt was able to do the same but mum has never shown any interest in anything technical. x
DeleteI see from one of your comments that you have a dog. What breed is he? I have a schnauzer and his hair needs cutting all the time. He usually goes to the groomer but she says she can't work because the dogs have to go through about 5 feet of someone else's garden to get to her shed!!
ReplyDeleteSo, I am back to trimming him with scissors..bit by bit. Feet one day, top of his head the next, legs, tail, face, eyebrows....he gets fed up with it very quickly ! I started off doing him myself when he was little, but once I tried a groomer there was no looking back !
Our dog is a mixture. We got him as a Cockerpoo but we knew by the price at the time he wasn't a 'proper' one! According to the breeder he's part poodle, cocker spaniel and corgi! He has poodle wool though which is very very soft and doesn't shed but does keep growing. We tried several groomers when he was a puppy but he got so stressed going and I didn't like most of them! Plus the expense was prohibitive too as he needed doing about every 6 weeks - his hair was costing more than mine! So I started cutting his hair myself and like you, it takes days! He gets fed up too and hates getting his legs and paws done with a passion! We now do two legs one day and two the next. Another day I do his head and ears and another his body and tail. He hates buzzy noises and I attribute that to the groomers clippers. He runs to hide if he hears buzzing such as hubbys moustache trimmer and he's not fond of our electic toothbrushes either! I don' t mind doing it and during all the lockdowns its probably just as well I do it myself now. x
Delete