Winning
This past week has been a fairly lucky one for us. I won £10 on a £1 scratchcard. I buy them very rarely and usually only if I've to stop at the kiosk in the supermarket for something else. I had forgotten to buy a magazine my mum had asked me to get when I was shopping so I stopped off at the kiosk to pay for it and on a whim bought two £1 scratchcards. One for hubby and one for me. While I was there I also bought a lottery ticket and that won us a free lucky dip ticket - which didn't win.
Then I had a brainwave one night in bed! It costs a fortune and we're talking over £20 to post even the smallest of parcels to Australia and they are taking forever to get there and the last one was missing some of the contents that presumeably customs took umbridge about, even though I check thoroughly what can and can't be sent. So my brainwave was that from now on I'm going to put the money I would normally spend my son and his partner for birthdays/christmas etc will be put into an account and given to them when we see them next time, either here or there! I then decided that rather than bother with an account which lets face it is getting virtually no interest anyway, I'd put it into one of the pots I have. When I say pots they are pottery pots with a slit to save money in, a piggy bank without the piggy! I have three stored in a cupboard as we're not using much in the way of cash just now. Usually I'd be saving loose change in them but I don't have any of that at the moment! So I dug them out and the one I chose to put his money into for his upcoming birthday had something inside and guess what, it was a £20 note! An old English one, it looked huge, but my SIL assured me it was still valid. Today I went to the post office to post my sons birthday card off and paid using said huge note and they accepted it without comment so it must be ok! My son is quite happy with this arrangement as it means he'll have some UK money here if he comes here first and if we go there we'll change it to AU dollars for them and it means they can buy something they like for themselves. I'm increasingly realising that although I love to buy my kids presents I'm in danger of becoming my mum, in that, she buys what she likes for us and doesn't seem to have a clue what we actually like. (I say that, but refer back to my post where she did incredibly well this past Christmas!!)
Then, if you can believe it, hubby found a £10 note while out walking the dogs! He bent down to pick up some poo and found a tenner lying beside it! I dont think the dog is pooing £10 notes and if he is I hope he does it more often!!
Hubby says we should put the lottery on this week, but unless I happen to be passing the kiosk and there is no queue, that won't be happening! x

Seems like your lucky week! I found a fiver a few weeks ago on the field where I walk the dog, but as it is private land belonging to a christian charity...(Youth with a Mission)I gave it to them!
ReplyDeleteYou are a better person than me Frances! x
DeleteLMAO - I would gladly pick up poo if I found cash next to it. That's a great idea about the $$, I think my mom prefers that method as well - it goes a long way to getting my siblings what they want/need, or gets something for the kids. We played the lottery this week but nothing was won, but a free ticket is always great!
ReplyDeleteYes, money next poo, what's to complain about lol. My free ticket lost too and I wasn't near the kiosk to play this week but I think we've done well nevertheless! x
DeleteIt'd be nice if the dog did start pooping money wouldn't it! I think the most I ever found was a $20 note in the middle of a field in Australia. Oh and I did win 1,700 Swiss francs on the lottery many moons ago. Minus the tax I think I came out with about SF 1,400, which was about £1,000 at the time. Most unexpected, but very nice all the same!
ReplyDeleteIt sure would be nice. Like the goose that laid the golden egg, I might have to insure him for millions though lol!! That was a nice lottery win you had. It's nice to get an unexpected windfall isn't it. I hope you spent it wisely!! x
DeleteYou have had a lucky streak! I once found a very soggy £10 note in Sainsbury's carpark . It's a wonder it hadn't disintegrated as it was such a rainy day. I lifted it carefully and dried it out at home!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure a lot of people would have left the soggy note because it was soggy!! I never understand why people don't pick up coins either. Because there is a high school round the corner from us I was always finding coins on the pavement. The kids seem to feel it beneath them to pick it up. I used to put them into my piggy bank, in the days when we used cash! x
Delete