Cleaning and Clearing.
I've managed to get the greenhouse washed down at last. I've been threatening to do it for ages. It's not so much that it needs to look clean, but I wanted to bleach the glass to make sure there is no virus' hanging about trying to start our own wee pandemic. It's all ready for action now. I've planted some sweet peas and lettuce as they are both pretty hardy. Usually I try to get everything in by Easter so I'm still on schedule for that and given Easter moves about quite a lot, I think this year it's quite early so we're all good. I'm going to try to get some more seeds started this week as its supposed to be dry and a bit warmer - when I say warmer we're talking 10 degrees centigrade so I won't get excited yet!!
I know I've talked about getting stuff done before but I've been in the mood to do clearing out. I threw a few things away that I'd had in the greenhouse 'just in case'. I've now decided if I haven't used it or needed it in the past two years I'm never going to need it! We've a hut thats falling down slowly but surely at the bottom of the garden and I really want to get on with emptying it and getting rid of it. It doesn't look too ramshackle in the photo but believe me it is. It's very wet inside too, we cannot find any tears in the roof felt but somehow water has been getting in and it is soaking wet. Until now I've been put off by that usual, 'but I might need it again' thought. No more! The hut has not been used for years. Everything in it I haven't looked for or used for the past two years, I didn't go near it last summer. I've put off pulling down the hut as there is a giant spider in the corner who has lived in there for as long as I can remember. I don't know the lifespan of a spider but he looks like the same one and seems to have been there for years! He ate some wasps trying to build themselves a home in there. Good spider! So I feel he's earned his stay, however it's getting to the stage where I don't want the hut to fall down on top of my granddaughter or the dogs so I think the spider will have to be given notice to vacate the premises. The stuff in it will go to the recycling plant and we'll have a big flat area at the bottom of the garden. I'm sure I'll find something to do with it. Hubby suggested another hut but I'm not sure we need one. I think it's that thing, the more space you have the more you fill it. We could do with somewhere to store the outdoor chairs through winter but other than that we don't need it.
Talking of clearing stuff out, I got rid of 4 large bags of clothes too. I've had them ready to go to the charity shop since first lockdown. However the charity shops were not accepting much when they opened up and you had to make an appointment to go to them and well, I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it all and who would have thought we'd still be waiting, a year on! Anyway, I'd parked my car next to the recycling bins when I went shopping and it occured to me I could put the clothes into the textile bins where they will be used or passed on for rags so I came home, emptied the shopping and returned to the car park with my clothes bags only to find the bins were full to the top! No room. I decided there and then that the stuff would go to the recycling centre which is just down the road from the shop. So thats where it went. They recycle any useable clothes so I'm happy with that and its amazing how much better it feels to have those bags out of the house! Today hubby told me I need to clear out the kitchen drawer. I have three kitchen drawers but I know the one he means. Do you have a drawer where things go that don't really belong in the kitchen but they have nowhere else to go? It's that drawer! He's right, I do need to clear it out. Hopefully this will start me on the road to a good clearout! Attic I'm looking at you!! x

Well I got into the greenhouse for the first time this season today, but procrastinated about the decluttering and put it off until tomorrow. My pile of charity donations is clutter in itself and whilst it normally depresses the spirit, actually sowing seeds and then doing some digging in the vegetable patch raised them, so I'm feeling all fulfilled and harmonious for a change - thanks to Mother Nature, a few seed trays and a bag of compost.
ReplyDeleteI was in the greenhouse too today and it really cheered me up. I know what you mean about the charity donations being clutter. I still have a pile of stuff that had been looked out for the charity shop that is not clothes so I will probably have to keep them a while longer. Thank goodness for a spare room!
DeleteAh yes.....that kitchen drawer !! Have you ever seen the sketch that Michael McIntyre did about the " man drawer" ? It is hilarious.
ReplyDeleteI saw that sketch and howled laughing. We have that exact drawer in our dining room dresser! Old phones included! We also have a tin in the cupboard with weird and wonderful stuff that can never be got rid of 'just in case'!! No hope! x
DeleteDoesn't it feel wonderful to get even just one thing out of the house? It's true what they say, excess "stuff" really is an energy suck. Like you I have a hard time letting stuff go (unless it's recycled) but then what spurs me on is knowing that the kids would have to go through all that crap if/when I pop off this mortal coil, so here I go again. I also thought it would be good to get a garden shed at one point, but then I realized I didn't need more space, I need less stuff! So on it goes!
ReplyDeleteIt feels great to get rid of stuff, I only wish I could keep going at it! I run out of steam way too easily and get distracted. Like you I've been holding the thought that one day the kids will have to dispose of all this stuff and that freaks me out. They'll be thinking what hoarders we were lol. Hubby says, 'if we're dead we won't be worrying about what they think'!! He has a point lol.
DeleteWonder how the spider will take the news that you're demolishing his spacious garden apartment? My mom has been decluttering for the same reasons too - less stuff for us kiddos to remove eventually, and you don't need everything that you have. Meanwhile I just bought a new dress today... I need help! 😆
ReplyDeleteA new dress is not clutter! A new dress in spring is absolutely essential in my opinion lol. Enjoy! x
Delete