New Fangled!
We've had our floor insulated and our boiler replaced. Thankyou Scottish Government and South Lanarkshire Council! It cost us £500 which is a fraction of what it should cost and we'll now have lower energy bills hopefully. The only downside was having more people in the house than we've had all year! The dog wasn't sure what to make of it and to further confuse him the people across the road from us are getting a new roof so there is scaffold all round their house with loads of men marching up and down the roof - the dog can't stay away from the window - he's not seen this many people for over a year now!!
Getting the insulation done was easy. We barely saw the two guys doing it. Mainly because they were under our floor most of the morning! However the boiler replacement is a different story altogether. They've had to go into every room to bleed the radiators, the water has been off for hours, the place smells of gas and we're freezing as its a cold day and clearly we have no heating and lots of windows and doors open! Thankfully I had my head on straight today as I filled several flasks with boiling water to use for tea and coffee and put all the stuff I needed into the laundry room so I didn't need to go into the kitchen where the men were working on the boiler. I also filled a couple of buckets of water for using in the bathroom and I filled our bathroom sink with hot water to get washed in, how organised am I!!Both lots of workers have been lovely. So much so I sent an email to the company praising them on their staff. I like to do that for good service I think its nice for them to get recognised.
I'm not looking forward to learning how to use the new boiler. Its all digital and I liked that our old boiler had a switch which was basically off/on/auto. It doesn't get simpler than that. Why do things need to get more complicated all the time! I know I'm being an 'old lady' about this but really, it's just another thing that can go wrong if you ask me!


Ooooh new stuff - good job! The dog looks skeptical haha! I am sure the new boiler won't be too bad, but I am sure you'll study the instructions and keep them on hand too :)
ReplyDeleteSo far I've moaned endlessly about it! I have read the instructions and they are not exactly cristal clear! Hubby seems to be getting a handle on it though so we should be able to muddle through. x
DeleteI hate reading new instructions also. Maybe we are getting old (well, we definitely are), but I hated it when they put my new heating system in and I had to figure out what everything was. I still tend to only learn the minimum necessary but there is a definite saving in it. I reckon my fuel usage is down about 1,000 litres a year AND it's now heating the water as well (water was heated by electricity previously). I'm sure you'll figure it out!
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not I'm sitting typing this with a blanket over me as I'm cold and the heating doesn't come on for another 10 minutes and I don't know how to override it!! I know how to set the timer and have worked out if I want to switch it off easily I can just turn it to hot water only but I can't work out how to put it on early when the timer is not long to kick in! Back to the drawing board I think! I'm glad you're saving on fuel and your electricity bill will be much lower now, no bad thing if electricity is as expensive in France as it is in UK. x
DeleteThat's brilliant news! Well done to the Scottish government. I hate reading up on how to use new things too, but if my mother can use her new fangled boiler, then I'm sure you'll get the hang of it!
ReplyDeleteIt's one of those things, if you get it all set up the way they want it its fine but I'm more used to just having it come on automatically in the morning for an hour then I usually just put it on if and when we need it. Depending on what we're doing and how cold it is determines when it goes on normally. However, apparently we can't do that with this one! Well, I suppose we can and we will once I get my head round it but I wish they didn't have to make life more complicated than it needs to be! They need a woman in the design departments!! x
Delete