Creeping into Old Age

Getting 'old' creeps up on you!  I don't feel particularly old except when I hear myself make all sorts of noises trying to get out of a chair!  If I don't go near a mirror I feel positively juvenile at times.  At times I dance round the house wielding a duster to the latest music on the radio.  At other times I sit in my chair and shout at the telly!  There's a lot wrong in the world just now.  So much discontent, anger, indignation etc. and when I find myself and hubby sitting debating the current generations I often wonder, is this what it means to be old?!  Every generation remembers their past with some level of rose coloured glasses.  My own mum lived through the second world war, too young to be involved in it but even she remembers her life as a youth being much brighter than it possibly was.    I can remember when central heating wasn't a thing; a coal fire in the living room was a thing;  black and white telly was a thing; telly finishing for the night at about 11pm was a thing; a telly in every room was unimaginable .  Outdoor toilets or shared toilets in a tenement were common things.  Playing out all day and only coming home for food was a thing; having a telephone in your pocket wasn't even remotely a thing.  Every family having a car wasn't a thing.  Speaking to relatives abroad on the phone was a rare thing, seeing your relatives abroad and talking to them whenever you want was positively science fiction.  Black and white photographs were the norm; taking photographs using a phone was not.

These photos are typical of ones from the 50's and 60's.  The tiny one of me with my uncle and gran was taken in the late 50's.  We have loads this size - 7cm x 4.5cm and the larger 9cm x 9cm square one is typical of ones from the 60's when my brother (with our other gran) was a baby.  I think they moved onto 15cm x 10cm after this and now are printed whatever size you want them to be.  We are now aware of pixels and the quality of photos we take.  Not so much back then unless you were a professional!

I don't feel that old yet so much has changed in my lifetime.  Has it changed too fast for us to keep up?  Did we always moan about the way things were or is it just that we now have such immediate access to everything that we think we know better now.  Things happened in the past that shouldn't have.  But we can't negate them by complaining and demanding current action on them.  It's history.  Thats what history is.  Things that happened in the past - the good, the bad and the downright ugly.  Things change, they move on, we learn and we know some things better now but we shouldn't wipe out the past because of that or how can we continue to grow and learn.  I despair at times for the current upcoming generations.  They want to save the world but I'm not sure they really know what they're doing.  I'm pretty sure that's an old thing to think!

Comments

  1. I'm sure I won't be the only one to say this but I think we had twin upbringings. Definitely the bit about disappearing after breakfast and arriving home in time for dinner! But I think having a lot less makes you really appreciate what you have now, something that maybe our kids won't get to appreciate so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose all of us in our 60's or thereabouts had similar upbringings. We difinitely had fewer 'things' back then. Strange though, that the older 'kids' now who had access to all sorts of stuff are now leading the way in the minimalist revolution. I'll never be a minimalist but as you say, we can appreciate what we do have now. x

      Delete
  2. You must be a very similar age to me......I identified with all of the things you listed....coal fire, no TV until I was 14, no car until I was 10 etc . etc. A friend and I were only yesterday saying that we felt we had got older very quickly in the last year. Groaning when getting up was mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've certainly got a lot less fit and a bit heavier this past year. I think I've been comfort snacking and that in turn means more creaking and groaning as I get up! My grandchildren can't imagine a time when there was no tv or just one fire in the whole house! Makes us sound positively ancient doesn't it!! x

      Delete
  3. Gosh, this post could have been written by me! I remember our house being so cold in the winter that ice formed on the inside of the (single-glazed) glass and we kept our school clothes on top of the bed so that we didn't have to get out into the cold to get dressed in the morning. We were only allowed a bath on Sundays, to save using the immersion heater for the hot water. No heater in the bathroom of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember my bedroom being freezing too! I was just saying to my brother today I remember when we stayed with my gran we used to go to the local 'baths' (swimming pool) for a bath on a Friday night. There were big baths in cubicles with wooden slatted boards so you didn't slip when you got out. We had a bath and got our hair washed then we were allowed to go for our weekly bag of chips at the nearby chip shop! My children can't believe we didn't have bathing facilities at home! Changed days! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered