Parks and Naps
We had a lovely sunny day yesterday and as I'd been feeling a bit sorry for myself, hubby suggested we go to a park to walk the dog together rather than our usual solitary round the streets walk.
He usually walks the dog in the morning and me in the evening. There are two relatively new parks in our area and although we've been to one of them quite often now, we had never tried the other one. It was lovely and is only 5 minutes by car from our house. We really enjoyed it. It used to be a council run golf course and it wasn't being used very much so it was closed a few years ago and transformed into a large country park. We parked the car in the small car park and took the dog a long walk in the sunshine. It looked stunning but was about 2 degrees in the windchill. The dog loved it and we met quite a few people we know from walking the dog in our area. Clearly this is where they all go now! It was lovely to be out in a place we've not been to before. The views across Glasgow are great, especially on a lovely clear day such as it was. It was almost like a day trip! Well, an hour trip!! I felt quite refreshed when we got home but only just managed to not have a nap in the afternoon! I often feel a nap coming on about 3pm. It's that after lunch slump and unless I'm busy I fall fast asleep for 20 minutes. Strangely, I've now trained myself to waken after 20 minutes without the need for an alarm, it usually works unless I'm really very tired. I read many years ago that to get the benefit of a daytime nap you must not sleep more than 20 minutes. It's all to do with light sleep and deep sleep. If you go into a deep sleep (which happens after 20 minutes) and an alarm wakens you from it, you feel sluggish and horrible however if you waken from a light sleep, up to 20 minutes from closing your eyes, you waken feeling refreshed.
I set my phone alarm for 22 minutes (just in case!) The extra 2 minutes to shut my eyes and relax. However, although it's great to feel energised, I find I then want to go to bed later but I still seem to waken at 6.45, no matter when I go to bed, then I'm tired mid afternoon and before I know it I need a nap every day! So I'm trying to not create that as a habit. Occasionally is fine but I'm not quite ready for that yet!
As this is a new park created from an old golf course the standing stones at the top of the hill are decorative and not historical but they look good!
He usually walks the dog in the morning and me in the evening. There are two relatively new parks in our area and although we've been to one of them quite often now, we had never tried the other one. It was lovely and is only 5 minutes by car from our house. We really enjoyed it. It used to be a council run golf course and it wasn't being used very much so it was closed a few years ago and transformed into a large country park. We parked the car in the small car park and took the dog a long walk in the sunshine. It looked stunning but was about 2 degrees in the windchill. The dog loved it and we met quite a few people we know from walking the dog in our area. Clearly this is where they all go now! It was lovely to be out in a place we've not been to before. The views across Glasgow are great, especially on a lovely clear day such as it was. It was almost like a day trip! Well, an hour trip!! I felt quite refreshed when we got home but only just managed to not have a nap in the afternoon! I often feel a nap coming on about 3pm. It's that after lunch slump and unless I'm busy I fall fast asleep for 20 minutes. Strangely, I've now trained myself to waken after 20 minutes without the need for an alarm, it usually works unless I'm really very tired. I read many years ago that to get the benefit of a daytime nap you must not sleep more than 20 minutes. It's all to do with light sleep and deep sleep. If you go into a deep sleep (which happens after 20 minutes) and an alarm wakens you from it, you feel sluggish and horrible however if you waken from a light sleep, up to 20 minutes from closing your eyes, you waken feeling refreshed.
If you're a bit down just the act of getting outside does you the world of good doesn't it. And I know what you mean about naps. When I was working I would take a siesta at the weekends. They would last a couple of hours and I would wake up cranky. Now, if I ever want a nap, I lie down on my sofa where it's lighter, sleep about 20 minutes and wake up feeling good so I guess your theory is right!
ReplyDeleteIt does feel good to get out, particularly into nature. Although the photos look like it was all very open there were parts that were a bit wilder which I enjoyed. Yes, I discovered the best way to nap is not to get too comfy! If I lie in bed I find it very hard to keep to the 20 minutes, I tend to nap on the sofa too.
DeleteGorgeous views!! I need to get to walking too, but I am so lazy. Hopefully as the weather warms up, I feel more encouraged. 2 degrees and I just say no thanks. And I love a good nap too!
ReplyDeleteI wouldn't have been out either if it wasn't for the dog needing out! Having a dog forces you out whatever the weather! On a sunny day though it's nice to get to a park with him, just for a change of scenery if nothing else! A nap can make all the difference can't it! x
DeleteWhat a wonderful idea to change a golf course into a country park
ReplyDeleteYes, isn't it. We were very surprised they didn't take it over for housing as seems to be the usual way of things these days. x
DeleteGorgeous blue sky! Such a good idea to turn it into a facility that will be enjoyed by more people.
ReplyDeleteI agree although I was quite surprised to be honest as it borders onto a large natural area that is already a national park, however this one is much more easily accessed by the neighbourhood and is clearly well used. We've had lovely blue skies this week. It really does cheer you up! x
DeleteGetting out in nature and physically moving are both great prescriptions for lifting one's mood. I also find going somewhere new like you did is an added bonus. I found your blog through a comment you left on Caree's A Retirement Blog. Nice to "meet" you!
ReplyDelete~Christie
Hi Christie, nice to meet you too! I've found myself hankering for either green space or blue space (ie the sea) however I've hesitated to venture too far yet as I think everyone is feeling much the same and I don't want to end up spending a day in a traffic jam! I have a lovely garden and nearby parks and I'll continue to enjoy them in the meantime, but you're right finding somewhere new is a big bonus. x
Delete