To Change or Not to Change?
Have you changed anything during the past year? i.e. during lockdown. To begin with people were telling us to do things. Things that would teach us a new skill, get us fit, give us a new qualification, feed our family on next to nothing a week etc. I clearly remember thinking this was an ideal opportunity to get the stuff done I've never got time to do. Clearing our attic, reorganising the garden to make it more easy to maintain, do some painting, some crafting, tidy the craft room, the list goes on and on. What I didn't bargain on was a kind of lethargy that came over me. It was strange because normally I enjoy being in and around the house. I enjoy gardening, reading, crafting etc, all solitary things to do, however once I knew I wasn't allowed to go out I didn't want to do it anymore! I've read less and less. In 2019 I read 30 books, in 2020 I read 22, so far this year I've read 3. I feel this is significant. My concentration is sketchy to say the least. My enthusiasm is quite diminished. My energy levels are less Duracell Bunny and more Duracell Tortoise. Hubby on the other hand has had quite the opposite reaction. He's got so much stuff done in the house, in his hut, helping other people. He's just loved it and has declared he will from now on be a hermit! He has no plans to change a thing, he's happy to stay locked down! The only thing I've changed is me (not necessarily for the better!). I very rarely put on even mascara now. Before lockdowns I'd rarely be seen outside the house with no mascara and blusher on, mainly because I look ill without them! I decided early on that in a mask no-one knows me anyway so I stopped. I also stopped wearing a bra! This is not to say I never ever wear a bra now. However I was finding them more and more uncomfortable. I stopped wearing underwired ones since breast cancer. The hospital told me not to wear them while I was having radiotherapy and I just stopped wearing the wired ones and moved on to non wired ones. On a large lady like myself, non wired bras are not pretty but they gave me some support so I was on a mission to find comfortable ones that might be a bit prettier. Then during lockdown I clearly quite quickly put on a few pounds and my bras began to annoy the heck out of me so I was whipping them off mid afternoon anyway and one day I had a lightbulb moment - why wear one at all. Particularly during winter when I wear several layers of clothes anyway, I doubt anyone noticed. So the only time I wear one now is if I have an appointment somewhere or I'm wearing something a bit lighter such as a blouse and even then, its still whipped off as soon as possible. I'm not sure how this policy will work in the summer months when I'd be wearing t.shirts, lighter weight and less clothes. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it though. Other than that, dodgy looking hair and bit more weight than before, nothing has changed. It's all the same with maybe a smidgeon of paranoia thrown in!!
Yes, I definitely feel I’ve slowed down now I can’t dash here, there and everywhere and there are some days when I quite appreciate that and others when I hate it. Also, although I love to read and despite it being an ideal opportunity, I didn’t pick up a book for months at the beginning of lockdown and then had a real reading spree, only to give up again when the last lockdown started in January. I have not, however, burnt my bra and, if I participate in a Zoom meeting or actually go out, for instance to a hospital appointment, because it’s now a big occasion I spray my best perfume liberally and wear makeup whereas previously I would never have bothered.
ReplyDeleteI think I've gone into the less you do the less you feel like doing mode. I'm hoping as things begin to open up here I'll begin to waken up more! I know what you mean about the hospital appointment being a big occasion too as I had an appointment at the hospital last week and had make up on, a bra on, earrings and perfume!! It's really quite sad! x
DeleteHa ha, I think I lost my bras when I retired two years ago. Like you I really only wear one to go out now, although I do make sure to wear something loose so I don't "shock" my son. I would say the only real change for me has actually been having my son move back home. It's been nice, we get along well and I've enjoyed having someone to cook for - but I really was ok on my own too. We've just gone back into a third partial lockdown (as announced by President Macron a couple of days ago). While we don't have the "no more than1 km from home limit" on us, we're limited to travelling no more than 10 km from home AND we still have the 19h curfew, so here we go again. I'm just so glad that both of my sons and my DIL can still work - it must be so stressful for those whose jobs/livelihoods are affected! But I'd say your experience with the pandemic is pretty much what everyone is going through (your husband, I would guess, is definitely the exception). I had so many plans, I was going to get so much done and then lethargy set in and I'm no more productive than I was pre-covid. Oh well, you can't buy motivation so we will just have to roll with it won't we!
ReplyDeleteIt's probably been nice to have some company for the pandemic. Too often you can go for days without seeing other people (hubby notwithstanding!!). I'm sorry to hear you're back in lockdown, it might curtail your walks a bit. However as you say, there's nothing we can do about any of it so we should just get on with getting on! x
DeleteI haven't been able to read in eons, I am on my phone or computer too much. Sigh!!! I have dyed my hair twice since the pandemic, and honestly I want to pierce my nose again too (I just get bored) as for bras, I thought my mom was so crazy when she stopped wearing them or switched to ones with no underwire but - they are more comfortable and less annoying. The only reason I wear them is for work/ visiting people if I have to. I cannot wait to see the back of this pandemic, I am so over it all.
ReplyDeleteI find I'm on my phone and computer too much too and I reckon it sucks the concentration from you! Before this I wouldn't have dreamt of not wearing a bra and I think when it heats up a bit I'll have to go back to one but its a wonderful kind of freedom! I'm with you on the being so over this pandemic! x
DeleteI feel much the same, though I do still wear my bra! This time last year I was going to get back to doing some watercolour painting, learn to play the keyboard better, do lots of gardening etc etc. Have I done any of those? Nope! The less there is to do, the less I actually do.
ReplyDeleteI do however put my make up on ( tinted moisturizer, mascara and eyeliner and lippy) to walk the dog in the morning.....you never know who you might meet, and I do look slightly better with it than without!
I also have the dodgy hair, but only 8 days now until I should be back to usual in that department. As for the extra weight.......!
I certainly look much better in makeup than without but now only wear it for 'special' occasions - like as mentioned- for hospital appointments etc! I think I'll go back to makeup once normality returns and I'll certainly wear a bra if I've no jacket on outdoors but at the moment when there's only hubby seeing me (and lets face it after over 40 years there's not much that would shock him now!!!) I'll enjoy my bra freedom!! x
DeleteI read your post, wondering why lockdown doesn't seem to have adversely affected me. Then I realised that at the start of lockdown 1 I was in the throes of the neuro problems and had been forced to slow down by those as I had no energy, no memory, and had lost the ability to learn anything new, amongst so many other symptoms. I'm so much better now than I was for months of last year, I have more energy, and I can do new things, albeit much more slowly than before, which must be why I feel that I've been OK with the lockdowns. The recent sunshine has definitely helped spur me on too. We've been busy at the allotment, and I've been decorating at home too. I've embraced film watching and have read more this year, so that's a big change for me. Still wearing my bra!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you feel so much better now. You were always more 'busy' about the house than me at the best of times! I remember your blog when you upcycled furniture before it was a 'thing'. You've always had a very 'can do' attitude and its stood you in good stead now. I think I've been in a state of flux since cancer in 2016. I know that sounds like an excuse but I still can't get to grips with what I want to do with my hair, it's very different now. I was also worried about the effects of the wires in bras before all this too. It was a small step to go from wireless to none! I think lockdown will have been good for some people, it's been good for us to a certain extent. If only we could have lockdown without the anxiety of Covid!! x
Delete