A Change Is Coming - I Hope!
I've been watching some TED X talks recently. I find them quite fascinating. One of them was by a nurse who was telling us to use our 'stuff' before it's too late. She said the one thing about being an emergency room nurse was that it highlights how quickly and unexpectely your life can change. Her example was a beautiful, expensive candle she bought for herself but felt it was too good to just burn it herself so she put it away and it was a long time later when she went to find it to light it when the time was right and the candle had melted and lost most of its perfume and was ruined. She'd spent all that money and because it was 'too good' to use she didn't get the pleasure of it at all. This kind of resonated with me a bit. We'd been planning to visit our son in Australia this past February. Obviously that wasn't going to happen what with the pandemic and all, however, ever the optimist, several times last year, I bought clothing online 'to wear in Australia'! Part of my reasoning for this was that in February here you don't get a huge selection of summery clothes and February is still the end of Australia's summer, so I thought it would be a good idea to buy my clothes for Australia, in June/July, it makes sense doesn't it? Of course, in June/July last year, we had no idea we'd still be in the midst of this darned pandemic and have no sign of being able to visit Australia or anywhere else for that matter any time soon. The problem? Me! That's the problem. I've put on half a stone or 7 pounds (at least) over the past few months. Last year I wanted (needed) to lose at least half a stone to feel more comfy in my clothes and to feel happier with how I look. SO, now I'm a stone heavier than I want to be and guess what, some of the 'Australia' clothes are pretty tight on me now. Not only that, why do I feel it's ok to have a load of clothes in my wardrobe that have only one purpose which will only last for about 4 weeks anyway?!
So, having watched the talk, I decided it's time to change this. Clearly the losing of weight is going to take a while but I feel a bit more motivated about that than I've been for a while. I'm hoping I can lose enough to be able to enjoy wearing some of the 'Australia' clothes this summer here. I'm hoping I can lose more weight as the summer goes on to be able to not have to worry about putting it on over Christmas and I hope I can actually get to Australia next year. Probably not February, perhaps nearer the end of the year. So, back to my decision to change-I'm going to wear the clothes, I'm going to burn my candles and I'm going to use all the 'good' stuff, including wearing jewellery again. I've had no need nor urge to wear any jewellery through lockdowns etc, so it's time to get it out again. It's all just costume fun jewellery but it's time to put some fun back into my life and if wearing jewellery is all it takes, why not!

I'd be interested to know the name of that TED talk - I think we could all use a kick up the bum sometimes. And she's right about not keeping things "for best". I wrote not long ago about my cousin who was engaged for nearly 50 years (but they never married) and had a "bottom drawer" full of all the stuff she'd bought for when they got married. It was all 1960s stuff and still in the wrapper. Such a shame. And if you find the secret to losing weight do let me know - I've got about 3 stone to lose!
ReplyDeletehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiVHSRY2I5Y Change your closet change your life it's called. Ask me how long it took me to find this again lol. I eventually did it the sensible way by looking at my history, however it shows up how much I'm on the computer!!
DeleteI'm afraid I've no secret to losing weight! I once joined Weight Watchers and lost a stone but I put most of it back on again as soon as I stopped dieting so I don't really want to go down that road. I know you're supposed to move more and eat less. I'm trying to move more its the eating less thats confounding me!
I can identify with everything in your post here. The process of sorting out all my "stuff" for our house move has highlighted how wasteful I have been over the years. Buying lots of clothes for our travels that I never wear at home. This past year has shown me that my habits need to change.
ReplyDeleteIt's funny how we class certain clothes as 'holiday clothes' isn't it. I do that too! I told my husband we should pretend we're moving house to motivate ourselves to clear a lot of stuff out. He reckons it won't work! I think he might be right!
Delete