A Busier Week

I read a book this week!  Actually, I read it in two days I enjoyed it so much.  I had seen it as a recommended book in a magazine and thought I might buy it based on the recommendation so when I saw it in my local supermarket, on special offer of £3 instead of £5 if I also purchased the DM newspaper (which I can use to clean the windows!) I bought it.  For any visitors abroad DM is a newspaper I have no time for normally but I do like newsprint to polish my windows with so it will be used, if not how the editor imagines I suppose!  Anyway, I got the book and it gripped me from page 1, always a good thing!  It's called The Summer Seekers by Sarah Morgan and what gripped me was the 'message behind the story' so to speak.  There were two threads, one of an elderly lady who used to travel extensively but since her husband died she'd been nowhere.  Meanwhile her daughter was one of those busy people who tried to do everything for everyone plus work full time and she was wanting her mother in a residential home so that she didn't need to worry about her.  (I'm a bit worried my daughter could go that way (hopefully not putting us in residential care though!)  It was actually the elderly woman I connected with.  She realised she'd allowed fear to let her world get smaller and smaller and decided to go a road trip across USA on Route 66 and I'll not spoil any more of the story in case you decide to read it.  The point that hit me though was allowing her fear to make her world smaller.   Suddenly I saw myself and realised I was in danger of becoming that person.  I was making excuses that I wasn't three weeks on from my second vaccine  etc but I knew that was just an excuse to go nowhere.  I have been worried about going out and about and meeting people again since the pandemic.  Anyway, on reading the book I felt encouraged to park my fears and start to live a bit more normally again and to encourage that I asked hubby if we could go out to a 'proper' restaurant for lunch.  And we did.  We went to a lovely farm cafe up in the Campsie Hills called the Courtyard Cafe and we sat in their conservatory and had a delicious lunch.  It takes us about an hour to get there from our house but its a lovely scenic drive over the hills.  We had also planned to visit the grave of my good friend Sandra who died last year and of course we couldn't go to her funeral because of lockdown and restricted numbers.  It so happened her grave is sited about a ten minute drive from the cafe.  She is buried in a woodland cemetary which is very much au natural.  There are no headstones, just an indigenous tree planted at each grave and the land around it is left to grow wild.  If I'm honest, I love the concept but I didn't like it.  I'm not sure how it will look as years go by but for now it felt weedy and unloved which I suppose is the point.  Anyway, she loved it when she saw it and picked her place herself so that's all that matters.  I left some tulips, I know I won't be back but it was nice to see where she is.

Note:  I forgot to take any photos of our trip to the Campsies but I did take one of the hen house they have erected at the farm cafe!  Hubby said 'no, you can't have chickens' when I showed it to him!!


It was my grand daughters 12th birthday this weekend so we went to her house for a party lunch.  It was lovely.  We sat outside most of the time, it was one of those days that when the sun was out it was glorious but when it went behind the clouds it was freezing!  It was very windy too so we had to hang onto our paper plates and napkins!  She's a big Lego fan and asked for either Lego shop vouchers or money to buy Lego with so she'll be going on a shopping spree soon!  I can't believe she's 12.  It seems like yesterday she was born 5 weeks early and worried us to bits!  She's a strapping big girl now and our only worry about her for now is whether she'll get on ok at High School in August.  We'll see lots of her then as I have no doubt she'll do what her brother did - come to us for lunch!  We live across the road from the High School so after the first 6 months when they have to stay in school at lunchtime, she will no doubt come to our house to sit out lunch break - especially if it's raining!  I don't mind a bit, in fact I quite enjoyed having our grandson and occasionally his friends in at lunchtime.  I don't see nearly as much of him now that he's left school and I miss him.  He was warned and our grand daughter will be too, that we won't be in every day, I don't want us being tied down to school hours again.  Once he was in Third year and we knew we could trust him not to bring hundeds of friends in, we let our grandson have a key so that he could come in when we were out.  He appreciated it very much in winter!  At the end of next week our schools in Scotland finish for the summer break - as a parent I remember it being a long 6 weeks!  As a child I remember it going by too fast!

Comments

  1. I'm glad you had a lovely drive out to the cafe, and that you were able to see your friend's final resting place.
    I had my 2nd vaccination on Saturday. Since then I know of 4 who are double vaccinated who have Covid! It feels like this is never ending.
    Oh my word, I can't believe your granddaughter is 12. It seems like only yesterday that she was a little girl who I made bunting for!
    J's off for the next 2 weeks, so I'm hoping we'll get out and about at some point. We have a few house and garden jobs to tackle, and the allotment always need attention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news you're fully vaccinated. It is very worrying that people still get it even though they are vaccinated. Hopefully it's a milder version than they would have got if they hadn't been. She still has her bunting!
      I hope you have a good two weeks. If you're anything like us the house and garden always have jobs needing done! As for the allotment, I'm sure you've got it in tip top condition with all the hard work you put in. It's lovely to pick the produce though isn't it. We're self sufficient in lettuce at the moment and the peas (the ones the mouse missed!) are almost ready too. I bet you're enjoying your strawberries by now. Have a good holiday (of sorts) x

      Delete
  2. My husband and I are both fully vaccinated now but I still don't want to do too much, not that I ever do. We're going to Vancouver Island in August which will be nice as we haven't been out of the province in almost two years.

    Happy birthday to your lovely granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great you're both vaccinated, it makes you feel a bit safer doesn't it. I'd love to go to Vancouver Island, it looks amazing. We're going nowhere. I like to stay home during to the summer to look after my garden, but I'd love a trip in September/October however we won't be going anywhere this year. Hopefully next year.
      Thank you I'll pass your birthday wishes along to her! x

      Delete
  3. That is a long way to go for a lunch!! Sounds like a nice drive though.
    My granddaughter was 11 last week, and we went to theirs on Sunday for a BBQ, it was so good to see them for a decent length of time and to be back at my son's house. I used to get the kids ( her brother is 8) from school twice a week and take them home and feed them so I have missed them lots. She also moves to secondary school in September and I worry a bit about how she will get on. Only 2 other children ( boys) going to the same school from the present junior school.They obviously move on at a different age in Scotland! She wanted money as a present and was going on a shopping spree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy birthday to your granddaughter. They love a shopping spree, don't they lol. We created a bubble with my daughter and her family at the beginning of lockdown as we look after her dog during the week and also my granddaughter as her mum was working in a supermarket the whole time. Also her husband and mine both worked together getting a property ready for rental during first lockdown, so although I've seen them lots, I've missed getting cuddles. My granddaughter loves giving cuddles and I've missed that big time. x

      Delete
  4. Oh my, it sounds just weird that you have a granddaughter who is 12 (and an even older grandson) when we're still counting babe's age in months over here. Still, it'll whiz by I'm sure! And thanks for the recommendation of that book. I have downloaded a sample onto my kindle and I'm sure I'll end up buying it as I'm just finishing up The Thursday Murder Club (Richard Osman) so I'll need something else light to occupy me - especially as I want to be a "Kathleen" when I grow up! It's funny what you say about letting your world get smaller because I've always nagged my neighbour about that. I know you read my blog and I've mentioned how unhappily married she is but I've tried "bullying" her into making sure her world doesn't shrink any more than it already has - especially as she feels so limited by what her husband "allows" her to do! Damn I'd love to drag her off on one of my solos trips with me. She's a sociable person and I know she'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes feel very old when I think of my 19 year old grandson and 12 year old granddaughter! You never know though, I have two sons who are late starters so I've not given up all hope of babies yet!!
      Yes, I want to be a Kathleen too. I love to travel and I look forward to feeling able to do that again. The book made me realise how easy it is to settle down and let your life get really small as it's been throughout the past year. It gave me a wakeup call I suppose. To that end I've now organised a lunch next week with the Art girls which I'm looking forward to. We've kept in touch through Zoom which is nice but real life is much better! I'm sure you'll enjoy the book, it's pretty light and easy reading. Enjoy! x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered