Gaining Confidence

I read a very interesting post on a blog today.  It was http://lifesfunnylikethat.blogspot.com/ about being self concious and self worth.   A very well written post and it touched a wee nerve.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I had a very happy, normal childhood (the lady in question doesn't seem to have had) but my mum was never one to tell you you looked nice, in fact she was more likely to tell you what the flaws were and my dad wasn't one for compliments either, he was a kidder.  He'd be more likely to tell me I looked like I'd been through a hedge backwards than I looked nice.  I had a friend at that time.  Her family were always telling her how pretty she was, how nice her hair was, how gorgeous she looked in a new dress etc and I remember on one occasion we both went into the city and bought almost identical midi dresses that were all the rage at the time.  When I tried it on and showed my family there was much derision about the length of it etc but no-one said it was nice on me.  The next day at my friends house she was wearing her dress and I remember her mum almost swooning about how lovely her girl looked.  I still remember the feeling to this day of inadequacy.  Now, if I tell you I was 5'7 to my friends 5'2, I was willowy with long slim legs, a narrow waist and boobs to die for!  My friend was fairly plump, although very pretty and when I look at photographs now of my teenage self I cannot believe how much I felt in her shadow.  Photograph of me with my mum on holiday in Jersey in 1973.


Thankfully I met my husband when I was 16 and although he's not one for big compliments either, he makes me feel like a million dollars at times and because of that I have gained much more confidence in myself.  It's easy to get bogged down with how we 'should' look.  The media is cruel.  There is a feeling that we should look young and beautiful no matter what age we are and if we're not perfect we must do something about it or hide away.   I still have times when I feel insecure and wish I could be 'more perfect' but on the whole I think I've more or less embraced the fact that I'm pretty lazy when it comes to beauty stuff!  I've all but stopped wearing makeup, of which I only ever wore blusher, mascara and eyeshadow anyway; I don't wear a bra if I'm not going out where I'll be seen, ie if I'm going to the shops with a jacket on, no bra, if its sunny and I'll be in a t.shirt I wear my bra!  I don't do exercises as I realised if I start them I'll need to do them forever (can't be bothered with that); I don't use products in my hair except shampoo because I'd need to wash my hair every day if I did and life is too short for that;  I do shave my legs and underarms though, I'm not quite at that stage yet and I do trim the ridiculous hairs that randomly grow on my chin!  I'm also still at the 'I wish I could lose this extra weight I've gained this past year' stage.  One day soon I hope to put the wish into some kind of action!


There is a lot to be said for getting older.  I had my 65th this past weekend and I think I look ok for it and I feel healthy and that's what really matters.  If the pandemic did nothing else it showed us all that life can change dramatically very suddenly so lets all do one thing that we've not had the confidence to do 'in case someone thinks we look stupid'.  I'm going to the hairdresser tomorrow and I plan to be brave and let her cut it really short, just because I can!

I wrote this last night so here I am with my shorter hair!  x

Comments

  1. Wow look at you as the young dolly bird! You were a cracker! And a belated happy birthday. Love the short hair - you've got me thinking about getting this mop chopped off now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! Let me tell you I did not appreciate how I looked when I was younger, looking back now I think - jeez, what were you looking for!! Go for the haircut, it's very freeing! x

      Delete
  2. A belated Happy Birthday and "lovely haircut."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, i'm glad to see you're back I was worried that you were so exhausted you wer'ent coming back! Thankyou for the birthday wishes and the haircut compliment. I loved both events! x

      Delete
  3. I struggle with self confidence and self worth too. I think my parents raised me better than they were raised, but all the same there were not a lot of I love yous or compliments (and theirs was a very unhappy marriage) self love/strong sense of work takes work. you can take time off, but sometimes you hop back on and give yourself a pat on the back. You look amazing now, and looked amazing then!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou for your compliments! I think the older I get the more I realise people seldom pay that much attention that I need to worry about how I look! Three different people saw me yesterday after my haircut and only my husband noticed! x

      Delete
    2. this is me commenting from work - I agree, folks look at us for our personalities - as a single woman, i do care BUT not that much. The cut is perfect on you. I spent too much time as it is being focused on what men think of my looks - pah!

      Delete
    3. I suppose being single changes things a bit as people make assumptions based on your looks in the first instance but we have to have the personality to sustain the looks. I don't think most men really pay as much attention to our looks as we think!! xx

      Delete
  4. Your hair looks lovely. How long was it before? My hair is quite similar to yours, but I still have it coloured as it improves the texture immensely. Hairdresser is coming on Friday...can't wait!
    I don't remember Mum or Dad telling me anything about how I looked as a teenager, and the husband certainly never says anything " nice", but I seem to have survived to be fairly confident in my appearance ! At 75, I don't expect to be looked at anymore anyway! (Also I try and avoid any mirrors these days.....my DIL managed to take a photo last week of me where I looked as I think I do, not like I actually look on most photos and face time/zooms)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Frances. To be honest since I lost my hair almost 5 years ago now, its been short. I was struggling to get it to grow, it just seemed to get thicker and straighter. Through lockdown it grew quite a bit though and I had to resort to cutting it at the back myself as it began to look a bit mullet like. Just before this cut it was a similar style just longer than this. This is the shortest it's been since I was growing it back again and I think I'll probably keep it this way now. It's much easier to keep. The texture of my hair is brilliant now, much straighter and stronger feeling than before and I was looking for ways to stop colouring it anyway so I'm glad to have had an excuse to let go au natural! I think the only downside is having to go to the hairdresser more often to keep it in shape, when it was down to my shoulders I could go months without going near a hairdresser! x

      Delete
  5. A belated Happy Birthday M 🎂
    You look bloody fabulous in both photos, and I love your shorter hair! I don't remember compliments or being told I was loved by my parents, and there was definitely none of that for J from his parents. Maybe that was usual for the time, and your friend's parents were an anomaly in complimenting her on how she looked.
    I have to admit that losing all the weight did wonders for my self esteem. I think I became the person I should always have been, rather than a spectator in my own life, and I like myself far more for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Scarlet for the birthday wishes and the compliments! I suppose it was because I was her friend and her parents were very open about how pretty she was and how clever she was etc. Turned out she wasn't a very nice person and we fell out and lost touch before we left school but being around her family as much as I was probably had an effect on me. I think you have to feel happy with yourself to have confidence and I'm glad you have got that now. x

      Delete
  6. You look fabulous in the old photo and in the recent photo. Your post and Debby's post inspired me to post a photo of myself as well. My father always said, "Jeez you're ugly. Jeez you're stupid." I understand now that he said the opposite of what he thought because parents didn't praise their kids but it affected me. I like your short hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as parents we perhaps don't realise the impact of our words on our children sometimes. I've made a point of telling my kids if I think they look nice, smell nice, have done a good thing etc. Funny thing is, they tell me 'you have to say that, your my mum'!! Thank you for your compliment too I appreciate it. x

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered