Success In A Book?
The weather is back to fabulous here. Low 20's (centigrade) which for me is just perfect. I've had a day pottering in the garden today. I also picked some peas to freeze (I managed to get some this year before the mouse!) I also sat in the shade and read my book 'The Governess'. I'm loving it. Although it does bring home that some things do not change! It's a fictionised (is that a word??) story of the governess who worked for the royal family when our current queen was a child. I have read that the author has researched the royal families at length so a lot of the details are accurate. I love learning historical facts via a good book and this one is very interesting.
There is not much else to report. My poor aunt, the one with dementia, lost her best friend this week. They had been friends since childhood. I called her Aunt Maureen because she and my aunt used to look after me when I was a young child. Aunt Maureen lost her husband to cancer two years ago and she never got over it. She became a hermit and refused to leave the house. Her children were distraught for her but could do little to help other than deliver food etc to her. We're not sure what she died of but it sounds to us like it might have been a broken heart. Because she lived in USA my aunt has not seen her since before the pandemic started. Prior to that she visited her twice a year. It's very sad but my aunt seems to be dealing with it ok.
On that note I'll go now and get some strawberries! I bought some today and they look delicious - I'll just make sure I have a bit less cream over them than I normally would!

Love that new book - let us know how you find it. A little kindness goes a LONG way, especially towards ourselves. That is so sad to hear about your aunt's friend. Sigh.
ReplyDeleteTo be honest I've not given the book my complete attention yet. I've got to the point where you have to write a letter to yourself with the date on it stating how you feel and what you hope to achieve. I did a half hearted letter earlier today but my intention is to give it my whole attention once I finish the Governess. I cannot concentrate on more than one book at a time! I need to give the Kindness book my full attention to get to grips with what it is I must do to succeed. Fingers crossed. x
DeleteI remember a radio program from about ten years ago, talking about kindness and much the same thing. Being as kind to yourself as you would a young child. It has helped me.
ReplyDeleteYes, I don't believe it's a new concept but isn't it funny how sometimes things you need just seem to appear at exactly the right moment to help you. I'm glad you were helped by the radio program.
DeleteOh you are keeping me on my toes with books right now. I've just downloaded a sample of The Kindness Method to my kindle - I'm sure I'll end up buying it though - so I shall look forward to a new me sooner rather than later also. I'm also enjoying The Governess (again your recommendation, I think). I'm not a royalist although I think the Queen is wonderful, but this book does bring out how "cynical" much of it is doesn't it. Still, it's a good read and Miss Crawford is very likeable (the real governess was called Miss Crawford wasn't she and was frozen out when she wrote a very harmless book about the princesses in her charge)!
ReplyDeleteI've gone a bit mad with books lately it has to be said! I've not really given my all to the Kindness Method yet. I'm not good at dealing with two books at a time even though the self help one isn't exactly light reading! I fully intend to give it the attention it deserves as soon as I finish the Governess though. I'm almost finished it and the more you read the more you know nothing changes much. Sounds like Margaret was always going to be a wild one though! I also wonder if the queen's ocd ever returned, she's certainly had a lot to worry about recently! Here's to new us soon lol. x
Delete