Sunny Days
We've spent most of the summer in the garden. We've had breakfast, lunch and dinner outside most days or I've been sitting in the shade reading or dealing with all the things you have to do in the garden in the summer. I cut down an old Honeysuckle that had died for some reason. I'm not sure if perhaps I damaged the stem when I was hauling it about to paint the archway. Strangely I couldn't find a before photo of the arch but take me word for it, it was covered in honeysuckle and clematis which both had suddenly died much to my disappointment. There are, however, one or two big jobs that have been put off for various reasons. One is the demolition of the old hut. I just can't work up the enthusiasm to clear it out. I don't know what to do with the stuff in it. We don't need the stuff but it's too good to throw out but not good enough to sell or even give away! I know I'm just putting off the inevitable and then of course it was too hot to work the past two weeks! The other big job is a more creative, artistic job which I'm keen to do but cannot source the stuff I need to do it!
This wall is our conservatory. Unfortunately the rough cast is falling off. You can see the bottom of the photo its come away and the rest is hanging on by a thread. Hubby is planning to knock the lot off and have a go at rough casting himself but this little part which is where our table and chairs are is in a little sheltered area facing my kitchen window and I had the bright idea I'd like to tile it like a little Spanish courtyard. As I said to hubby when he told me the tiles would all fall off in the frost, if that that happens whats the worst that can happen, we can rough cast it again if they fall off. However I don't think they will fall off, not for a few years anyway. It's a very sheltered spot and my little tile picture on the wall opposite has lasted for years now so I'm hopeful. However..... I cannot get the tiles I want anywhere. It seems I'm either ahead of the fashion trend or way behind it all the time! I want simple 6 x6 inch tiles in navy blue with a few assorted ones among them of red, yellow and white. Have you noticed everything in the decorating world has gone monochromatic lately? No, neither had I! Colour is not to be found in the tile world unless you want those rectangular tiles with the bevelled edges which are no use to me! I was looking on Ebay at lovely hand painted Mexican tiles but because they are clay tiles and hand painted I'm not sure if they really would be able to cope with the weather. I'll keep looking and hopefully something will turn up before the winter sets in!
I hope everybody is enjoying the summer no matter how good, bad or indifferent the weather. Hopefully the sun will shine for you for a while yet. Take care. x
You've had a much better summer than we have by the sounds of it. In July and August we can hit 40°C (and routinely get to around 37°) but today it's struggling to hit 17°C! I don't mind it not being as hot as usual because I don't like the heat, but 17°? Seriously? And I think your "Spanish courtyard" idea sounds lovely. That's right up my alley!
ReplyDeleteI think we've had the best of the weather so far, even the east coast of the UK hasn't done as well as us, although they did get a one week heatwave but even then it rained at times. Perhaps you'll get a wonderful August. I hope so as it sets you up for winter to get a good summer doesn't it. I've a feeling the Spanish courtyard is going to roll over to next year at this rate, I'm no closer to finding tiles yet, but I'm sure I'll show it off once I get it done lol! x
DeleteThe summer here has been kinda meh! Some sunny days, but a lot of rainy days. We have reopened but the weather has not been matching the ability to be outdoors. Glad you got some good weather and your gardens etc look lovely, cannot wait to see the Spanish courtyard come into play - another idea for hubby! ;)
ReplyDeleteIt's so disappointing when we get a bad summer isn't it. We get them so often you'd think we'd be used to it but every year we expect a 'good' summer and to be fair this year we've done really well. It's highly unusual for the west of Scotland to get the best of the weather but that has been the case this year so far. We've had hardly any rain at all, my garden is bone dry. I'm hoping to do the tiling myself on my wall!! I'm sure hubby will micro manage it though lol. x
DeleteWe've had some good weather, but I don't think it's been as sustained as yours. We haven't had much rain ... the allotments could do with some!
ReplyDeleteMy garden could do with some rain too. I only water any new plants or my tubs regularly so the rest is very dry and may need some watering soon if the rain they keep promising doesn't come. It's rained a wee bit today but very light so far. x
Delete