And Then It Rained!

Well, the rain came!  Boy did it come with a vengence.  My poor plants in pots in the garden are decimated.


On the plus side though, the garden was bone dry as we'd not had any decent amount of rain since June.  I think I mentioned before that the weather patterns have just skirted round where we live this year.  We've had no rain since June and it's been incredibly warm and sunny until this week.  I keep reading about the dreadful summer we've had and it's not true for us in Glasgow.  We've had a brilliant summer!  This is a very unusual occurance for us although the weather does seem to skirt round us a lot.  I remember the year we collected our puppy was very snowy everywhere in Scotland but here.  We didn't get a flake that year but as soon as we got to the outskirts of Glasgow there were inches of it lying!  We had to pick the dog up in Castle Douglas which is about 90 miles south of us, near the border with England and we couldn't believe the amount of snow by the roadsides all the way there.  We'd heard on the news how Scotland was covered in snow and we knew there would be some further north (always is) and we knew further east had some as my daughters in laws live east of us and they had lots, west of us don't tend to get much as its the coast and to be honest I don't remember if they had any either, but us, we had nothing, nada!  The grandchildren were disgusted, no snow days for them!  There is probably a very technical geographical reason for us missing out on the weather patterns everyone else gets but I've no idea what it is, but this summer it's been brilliant, until now!  It's not cooled though, it's still very warm so in the intervals between the monsoon rains, its very pleasant outside and the news is not all bad in the garden.  I planted some more lettuce, some spring onions and some cabbage seeds and they are all through within the week!  I'm hoping to get the use of the lettuce and onions within the month, if it stays sunny/rainy for the rest of the month and doesn't dip into winter weather too soon.

You can just see the little seedlings popping their heads up after all the rain!  The larger plants are leeks which are still doing well and one little carrot!!  A little stray seems to have planted itself.  This bed had Little Gem lettuce until recently.  I used loads but quite a few bolted in the hot weather, I'm hoping for a wee crop to see me into autumn.

Does anyone watch Escape to the Chateau?  I love it but does anyone else feel they have more than 24 hours in their days?  I watched a repeat last night and Angel was making a chandelier from an old metal barrel ring and some wooden beads.  Who looks at that and sees a chandelier?  And, who has the patience to thread twenty million beads onto strings to make said chandelier?  Not to mention she started out actually making the beads from bits of wood though she admitted it was taking too long and ended up buying some!  I often watch and think, when does she have time to clean the bathrooms etc, they must have a team of staff surely, the place is enormous and must create a lot of dust.  Am I just weird for wondering this stuff??  I love the show and they are both incredibly creative and very likeable but I can't help wondering what's behind the scenes!

ps. I just looked at my last photo and the little 'seeds' on the path are (mostly) Forgetmenots waiting to flower next spring!  Just in case you think my weeding is falling behind lol.  There are probably a few weeds there too but mostly its flowers (honest!!)




Comments

  1. I remember that " chandelier"......hmmm!
    Most of what Angela makes is lovely though. I have watched the programmes from the start. Have you seen the latest series, where people ask for help with various projects?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen them all too plus the latest ones on helping other people though not the ones where they help other chateau owners, I didn't like those as much. I think it's interesting that the projects they help with are always ones they recreate for themselves too!

      Delete
  2. Snap! I LOVE Escape to the Château too (aren't they an adorable couple)! She just has to smile at him and he's putty! The thing that gets me (also) is that she can, like you say, imagine anything and he can build it for her. I have also wondered where they get all this energy from and how come they get more than 24 hours to a day, but I'm sure they have a lot of help too! My niece met them at some exhibition or other in England last year (I think it was) and she said they were genuinely as nice as they seem (I ended up buying their book on her recommendation). And to think they have this massive château and I can't even keep up with my little house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the book for my mum with the hope she'd let me see it when she finished with it but she's hanging on for dear life to it lol. I've not had even a peek at it yet!! I'm with you, I look at all the stuff they seem able to do and I moan about keeping our house clean and tidy and I don't have two young children running about! I'd love to visit the chateau to see it in real life, I think it would be stunning.

      Delete
  3. Your poor pots!
    It was torrential here over the weekend, and the stuff at the allotment looks better for it.
    I watch Escape to the Chateau. I first saw the light fittings made with beads on Instagram... a girl I follow has one in her living room. She bought hers and the price was eye watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've now emptied one of the tubs and have trimmed back the rest. I suppose it will depend whether the weather goes back to summer like if they thrive or die! The rest of the garden is looking very much better for the rain though. I have two chandelier type light fittings in the house and both were bought in sales for less than £20. One when BHS was closing down, they had a brilliant lighting section, I miss that store and the other was in final clearance in B&Q, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time! I wouldn't thank you for a beaded one though although hers looked stunning in place!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered