Retirement - To Plan or Not To Plan - That Is The Question!

Did you plan for retirement?  Perhaps you're not there yet, if so are you planning for retirement?  Both myself and hubby didn't plan to retire when we did.  He worked for a large corporation and they forced the hand of the over 55's to get out or have a large chunk of their pension stolen.  It doesn't sound very legal but they got away with it.  It was too big a precedent for the lawmen to judge any other way.  I too worked for a large company aka local government and they also decided it was time to get rid of the old and mostly more expensive (experienced) staff.  We were given a choice and hubby and I decided it was time to leave paid work.  My pension was made up to the effect I worked till I was 60 though I was only 55 at the time and I also got a redundancy payment which looked good, but had I known then what I know now I'd have been much more careful.  I can only speak for the UK here and I'm not even sure if it's up to date but while I was working we were offered AVC's (additional voluntary contributions - I think) which were a way to top up your pension and were tax free.   I took advantage of them but not enough.  Had I been much more savvy, I'd have thrown as much as I could at the AVC's before leaving which would have benefited me hugely in retirement.  Retirement was not on my radar and neither were pensions or to be honest what that even meant to me!  At the time (2010) there was a lot of talk of pension schemes failing so without investigating it any further I took the largest cash amount I could from my pension and only kept a small pension - BIG mistake.  Well, it was a mistake in that I have now only a small work pension, however at the time I used that cash to start up my own business and also paid off some debt for a relative which I couldn't have helped them with otherwise, so it's swings and roundabouts I suppose!  Only after a few years did it occur to me that I would be in big trouble financially should anything happen to my hubby as I'd only be entitled to half his pension - this was something I didn't even think about before.  As I still don't qualify for the state pension yet, (66 in this country) I would have had to find a way to support myself.  My business did ok for a couple of years then when hubby got ill I took my eye off the ball and it went downhill fast!  I continued to make a small amount selling my stock at fairs etc but it wouldn't have supported me.  Nowadays, if anyone ever asks me about retiring I say, plan, plan and really plan for it!  Find out about pensions, don't walk blindly into it.  If you're self employed, get a private pension as soon as you can and make sure it's one that will suit you in the future.  My parents took out a private pension years ago because my dad was self employed but he was sure he'd be working till he died so he didn't pay too much attention to it and it paid them £200 each every 3 months and my dad's payment stopped when he died, my mum got nothing.  She still gets her own £200 but it's taken into consideration when she had to apply for pension credit and although £200 every 3 months might have seemed a great thing years ago, now it's a drop in the ocean.

Finances apart, time can sit heavy in your hands when you give up structured work patterns.  I found myself wondering what to do with myself when I had so much free time to begin with.  Although I'd previously only worked 3 days a week I had a structure to my days and weeks and I lost that structure when I stopped work.  It's fine for the first few weeks as it feels like a long holiday and its a novelty but the novelty wears off and then what?  I retired in the summer so I had plenty in the garden to do.  I also had friends who weren't working and some who had flexi hours at work and could meet up for lunch/coffee but the winter was when I began to struggle a bit.  Fortunately a friend of mine recommended I look at the daytime classes in the universities in Glasgow where they do a huge selection of classes for adults over 50.  I had long wished I could have done more art and when I discovered I could do art classes at the university I jumped at the chance and it was the best thing I could have done.  I met new, interesting, like minded people and thoroughly enjoyed spending my morning painting and drawing.  Even having just one day a week where I went into the city to do art made a huge different to the structure of my week and that led to other things.  A group of us kept in touch after that first class ended and we now meet every 6 weeks or so for coffee/lunch/gallery visits etc and we all still do various classes at the university - well we did till the pandemic and some have continued to do them online.  I have a friend who has decided to retire at the end of this year.  She's a teacher and is used to a very structured life.  I worry that she'll struggle with retirement as she hasn't any hobbies and she's not even looking at what she'll do yet to fill her days.  She says she can't wait to have more time to read but there's only so many days you can sit and read, isn't there?  Don't get me wrong, I love to sit and read, especially on cold winter days but I couldn't do it all the time.  

Is there a point to this post?  No.  I just read someone in a blog talking about planning to downsize and make sure they have no debt and own their house before retirement and it made me think that I probably should have looked at the implications more carefully when I was younger.  To be honest, we'll never downsize, unless for some weird reason we really had to, our house is suitable to grow old in and as it's been in hubbys family since it was built in the 1930's he'll never want to leave it.  I would agree that no debt and the house paid off is probably to be recommended but there is also a part of me thinks you shouldn't spend the whole of your life 'planning' for your retirement.  We wouldn't have taken the children to Disneyland in Florida if we'd planned too much, we wouldn't have gone a trip round the world if we'd planned too much, we wouldn't have gone a cruise to the Norwegian Fjords if we planned too much and we cannot plan for illness getting in the way of our plans.   I never imagined I'd get cancer which took a year out of my life.  I'm very lucky and it has not had a long term impact on me or my health and I hope to travel again once we get this virus under control - although at the current  time, the rate of control is virtually nil as far as I can see so it might be a while yet!  So, did you plan ahead, are you planning ahead or is/was your head firmly in the sand?  I'd love to know.


Comments

  1. My husband's parents worked hard and planned to retire once they had saved enough money. Six months after they stopped working at age 69 my mother in law had a stroke and died. When I worry about having perhaps retired too early after 40 years of work but before state pension age, and perhaps not having enough in the "pot" I remember her and am thankful I have had some time to live for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. We can plan all we like but life doesn't always pan out the way we think it will. Some planning is good for sure but I think sometimes we have to take a leap. I'm sorry your mother in law died so soon after her retirement and so young too. Very cruel. x

      Delete
  2. As somebody who never had the benefit of an employer’s pension scheme and had her promised state pension deferred by 6 years just as her retirement plans were coming to fruition ( I’d moved into a part-time consultancy in readiness), retiring, despite the planning that did go into it, still felt like a leap of faith rather than a well honed plan. How much do you need to have saved when you have no idea what’s around the corner and annuity rates are rubbish? Who knows, but the comforting words of a financial advisor once or twice a year seem to help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving the state pension the way they did was nothing short of criminal. It affected so many women, me included. I'm glad you have the comfort of your advisor telling you it's ok. Money and lack thereof is a worry.

      Delete
  3. My dad planned meticulously, but as you know, died aged 55. J's dad died at 61, but his mum benefited from his dad's very good British Aerospace pension for nearly 40 years. Our plans have been badly affected by KL's illness... helping her didn't come cheap, but we wouldn't, and couldn't, have done anything else. If we both live to state pension age, our income will be bigger than its ever been, and we've never had a 'lifestyle' to maintain, so we'll feel like lottery winners!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad to lose both dads so young and you hear it all the time. People who plan for retirement, work to the wire then die soon after. LIke you, we could have done without helping the relative but like you we wouldn't have it any other way. I hope you do indeed live to state pension age and beyond and enjoy your lottery life!! I'm pretty sure not much will change in your life other than great sighs of relief more often!

      Delete
  4. I could have worked to 65 and gotten a very generous pension, but my plan was to work to 62 - that is until I realized my commute (3 hours on a good day) was killing me. Then my boss pissed me off when I asked for occasional telecommuting (which was company policy) and he refused so I went in to work on 1 October (which just happened to be a Monday) and gave them 3 months notice and I was gone at 60! Do I regret it? Not at all! I lost an AWFUL lot of money by doing that but I have more than enough as other than travel (when it was allowed) I don't have expensive needs/hobbies. My friend did tell me that I'd most likely overfill my time when I first retired and I've realized she was right. So I voluntarily cut back on many of the things I signed up for and covid did the rest and to be honest, I'm happier having fewer commitments. Also seeing so many colleagues/former colleagues die before retiring or shortly thereafter, I am absolutely certain I made the right choice to go when I did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Commuting is the bane of many people. We were lucky in that we both worked within a few miles of home. Hubby had quite a bit of travel to do at times and he was glad to lose the night time call outs. You get to a stage in life when you can't be bothered with hassle I think and it sounds like you did entirely the right thing when you did. I think some people do indeed sign on for too much. I remember telling my friend to be careful how much babysitting she offered her daughter when she was pregnant. She thought she'd need to fill her time but I knew from my own experience that you don't want to fill every day and also babysitting is very tiring - I'm sure you once said it's why we have babies when we're younger and have energy! Thankfully she heeded the advice and was grateful for it especially as she was the one who told me about the university classes which she enjoyed until she died suddenly a couple of years ago.

      Delete
  5. I am planning for retirement, I am single with little else to save for, really. Once I get a better job, hopefully the plan can continue but nothing solid yet. I suppose it is a balance between your future as retired folks with grandkids, vs ensuring your current life with kiddies is a-ok too. Tough thing to work on for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it's tough! It is about balance too. Some people seem to place an awful lot of emphasis on saving for retirement to the detriment of living for today. I say, plan and save but live a little too!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered