LIfe - It's A Disaster Movie!
Gloom is all around at the moment. My son in laws grandfather is dying. It's been complicated and has caused more than the usual distress faced when a relative is dying. It's very sad. My neighbour who I am very fond of is very ill at the moment too. I'm not sure if it's this terrible cold that we're hearing about in the UK or if it's flu. We do know it's not Covid thank goodness but he's been very ill and I'm not sure he's out of the woods yet. Then, of course, we have the multiple failures of energy companies in the UK, we have shortages on the supermarket shelves, apparently Christmas dinner is under threat - no turkeys, they are killing pigs because there is a shortage of butchers - need I go on?! It's actually getting almost funny when daily you hear of the latest in a very long line of shortages/failures/natural disasters etc.
I am prepared though! I have my toilet roll stash, I have enough food to keep us going for about 6 months if we get to the point of having literally no food on the shelves, I've got petrol in my car - bought at a virtually empty of cars petrol station while out shopping this week. If, however, the asteroid that is currently hurtling towards us should hit, I'm not really prepared for that! You couldn't make it up!!I had a horrible dream last night that we were in Australia and the end of the world was coming and I wanted to get home. I've no idea why I would leave my son when there was only two days left but in the dream it made sense! I woke up - correction I'm pretty sure I woke myself up to get out of the dream - and started to think, what would you do if you knew the end of the world was nigh? I watched a really good film called Seeking A Friend For the End of the World starring Steve Carell. It doesn't sound like it should be good but it was! Anyway, it made you realise that everyone would have their own priority. How could my son in Australia be with us when his partner would want to be with her parents, my eldest son would want to be with his partner and she'd want to be with her parents even if he wanted to be with us, my daughter would want to be with her children and husband and would want to be with us but he'd want to be with his parents - what a horrible dilemma it would create. Lets hope we never have need to be in this situation!
So, I bet you feel cheery after reading this - NOT. I'm not trying to depress anyone because once it gets as bad as it seems to be just now it's actually becoming almost funny! I think all we're missing at the moment is a plague of locusts!
Omg that no fuel situation was mad! I am sorry to hear about your other sad events, I hope your SIL's grandad passes peacefully, and hopefully the neighbour feels better soon. yes even i have had super stressful dreams lately too, ugh!!
ReplyDeleteI think the fuel thing was massively hyped up by the media and in turn caused panic buying. I'd bought fuel a couple of weeks before it and still had some but as I was going to Costco which is on the other side of the city from us I filled up while there as it's 10p a litre cheaper there than anywhere else. That will keep us going for weeks now. SIL's grampa is being put on paliative care now and a call to my neighbour this morning was good, he's beginning to get better again. I think all the stress of the past few months are giving a few people bad dreams and I know you've had quite a stressful time.
DeleteI'm sorry things have been gloomy, but pleased to read in your reply above that things with your neighbour are improving. Sad about your son in law's grandad, especially if things are complicated. I keep hearing about Christmas being under threat, and shrugging my shoulders, wondering why people can't adapt. It all feels very much 1st world problems, especially as KL has recently helped out some refugee families, whose stories are harrowing, but are the loveliest, most grateful people she has encountered. I just want to scream ' get a grip' at people worried they won't get a turkey!
ReplyDeleteMy neighbour is improving very slowly now and our son in laws grampa has brightened up since they got a feeding tube in, however, this is only a temporary measure so not a long term fix and they now have to decide how to take it forward, its a sad time for them. As for turkeys - I'm not a big fan of turkey anyway so I'm not in the least worried about it. I'd happily have cheese and biscuits for Christmas dinner!
DeleteGosh that was depressing - but I guess at least it puts "whose place do we go to for Christmas"? into perspective doesn't it!
ReplyDeleteFirst world problems! Well, maybe apart from the asteroid ;p
DeleteSo sorry to read about your personal gloom. The reporting of national gloom however is such that husband and I seem to be constructing our own little dream world removed from all the shenanigans of life outside our bubble. After decades of following news bulletins avidly, I've pretty much given up and I'm now even choosy as to which bits of the online newpapers I read. The current political situation is so appalling, we've just been driven to cease engaging with it and I never thought I'd ever do that! Guess that means there'll be no advance warning of that asteroid for us then, but at least I enjoy surprises.
ReplyDeleteI try not to catch the news much either but hubby still watches it avidly so it's hard to miss sometimes. If the asteroid hits us you probably won't get time to worry about it so enjoy your bubble! :D
ReplyDelete