Slow Return To Normal

Well it was just as well my grandson enjoyed his halloween a week early as last night he broke two bones in his wrist playing football!  Today he's feeling very sorry for himself :(

My mum has been very poorly with what appears to have been a bad cold this week.  She's been coughing constantly, however, as my mum also has heart failure, she coughs a lot at the best of times so it's been hard to tell which was which!  She's not a brave soldier when it comes to illness.  She panics and gets grumpy and her and I just about kill each other then she gets better and it's all good again!  Yesterday, double masked and gloved I went in with some little ready meals from good old M&S for her and she screwed up her face and told me what she thought of that for a plan!  Today I phoned and she sounded much better and told me how delicious the little meal from M&S was!  As I said to her yesterday, 'I can't do right for doing wrong'!!  The doctor wanted a PCR test done on her but she has a horrible tic at her mouth and can't stay still enough to allow anyone to do it so my brother and I decided it's not necessary to do it.  She's on the mend, has been nowhere and seen no-one except him and I and we were both protected as much as was humanly possible when we entered her house.  She got some antibiotics from the doctor and it's made a huge difference, she's not coughing as much and is sounding much brighter and more her old self.  In other news my next door neighbour who's been ill for three weeks now was also finally given antibiotics at the end of last week and when I phoned his wife this morning she said he'd turned a corner and seemed to be on the mend and was eating again, thank goodness.  I felt the world was returning to right again this afternoon - well apart from my grandson I suppose!

Today I did some Christmas shopping!  I didn't set out to.  I set out to return the second pair of slippers I bought hubby from TK Maxx which were too small for him.  We've now decided either his feet have grown or shoe sizes have gone a bit off lately as I then brought back a pair from Sainsbury only to find they too were too small and they are for the size larger than his shoe size!!  I got a couple of things in Next, their housewares are really cute this year, for my aunt and cousin and I got a couple of things in Sainsbury so I'm feeling very organised now!  I'm being very strict with my budget this year and I'm finding it much easier to stay focused on that.  Last year I did most of my shopping online but this year I'm trying to support the brick and mortar shops.  Use it or lose it.

The weather has turned horrible here today.  It's very dark and pouring with rain, although it's not actually cold which is weird.  Apparently it's to get colder next week, although if you believe some of the tabloid papers, all sorts of dreadful weather, the likes of which we haven't seen for who knows how long, is heading our way!!  It never happens so I'm not worried.  

I've gone back to scrapbooking this week.  I started an album of our 2019 trip to Australia a couple of months ago and then came to a halt for some reason and never quite got back to it.  Then at the weekend I got all nostagic for Sydney after watching a video my son had posted on Facebook of them on their boat with their friends so I dug out my album again and as the photos were all slotted in place in it, I started on it again and have been enjoying doing it again.  It's lovely to relive a holiday while making an album, its why I think it's a shame so many people keep their photos on their phones now and rarely print them off.  I know my own children don't.  I think it's a shame for future generations, there will be a huge gap and yet we probably take more photographs now than ever before - it's just no-one will ever see them.  How sad. 


Comments

  1. I don't print many photos these days either and you're right, there will be a gap. I'll make a mental note to print some, see if I remember.

    Glad your mum is doing better. Our grandson has a chronic cough as well and I'm not sure what to do about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly my mum ended up in hospital today. When I went up today to help her do her hair I was shocked by how breathless she was and decided she needed to see her doctor who then referred us to the hospital and they've kept her in to do some tests. Hopefully she'll be out again tomorrow. You should probably get the doctor to take a look at your grandsons cough, it's very distressing watching a child cough isn't it.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad your mom is doing better now - what a worry for you! I need to do something about my photos too. I have loads of albums because I also like to have them printed off and in one place (the kids inevitably get out the old albums over Christmas) and it's not the same having them on your phone, is it! The problem with my albums though is that they are so old that so many of the photos are sticking to each other and they're really not much fun any more. I was just thinking the other day that I should have another bash at Snapfish (although I never seem to get my backside into gear right now)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll see from the previous comment mum got worse again!! She's a worry indeed. Yes, unfortunately in the 'old' days some of the glue used for albums was full of acid which destoys photos over time. I have a few albums like that too and I'm trying my best to transfer them to acid free albums now. Its easier to get acid free stuff now for sticking them down. Snapfish are certainly very good here. I use them all the time and they are very quick and pretty cheap. Tell me about getting into gear!!

      Delete
    2. Oh bloody hell, I do hope mom is ok - although she really is in the best place isn't she!

      Delete
  3. Ooof, when it rains it pours. I am glad your mom and neighbour seem to be on the mend though. Hopefully your grandson heals up a-ok! I never print pictures anymore, and I have lost so many memories of my nieces growing up, I need to backup my WhatsApp pictures to an extent at some point!! Here in Toronto, I am super close to throwing on my winter jacket and not taking it off until spring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mum's not so great tonight, I was a bit premature with saying she's better it would seem. I'm hoping her hospital stay is just an overnight one. She was diagnosed with heart failure just before the first lockdown and hasn't been seen by a doctor since then so I'm hoping this stay will get her into the system and she'll get better care for it now. It's a shame not to print out pictures. You think you'll remember things don't you but unfortunately we don't always. I love my photos and love reliving holidays etc through them. We're still ridiculously mild here in Scotland just now. It's very wet now but not especially cold yet, though I'm sure it will come soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope that your Mum gets home soon, though it sounds as if she is in the " right place" at the moment. Less worry for you as she is being looked after by professionals.
    Re foot/ shoe sizes.......When I was young my feet were 5 and half/6, but I have worn a 7 for many years now. I did think that it was the shoe sizing that had changed, until I found an old pair of shoes that I used to wear regularly, and they were too small!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree mum is in the right place although I'm not sure she'll entirely agree with me lol. I think our feet do change size though we don't really notice it. If only we could still go and get our feet measured - those were the days!!

      Delete
  6. Sorry to read that your mum's poorly M. I hope she had a good night, and tests will provide answers/ treatment for her. What a worry for you. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scarlet. It took me an hour to finally get through to the department she's in only to be told the consultant hadn't seen her yet! I'm going to phone again soon to get an update - hopefully!!

      Delete
  7. Mothers are such a worry now our roles have reversed and they are the ones who rely on us (and just when I thought I was finally enjoying freedom from caring for my children). I hope she gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter in law is a nurse and she says, in these Covid days, "Now is absolutely not the time to get sick or to injure yourself." Hope your mom is better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Please let us know how everything is going as soon as you can! Unfortunately the pandemic did such a number on healthcare -your mom should have been followed up with in person right away but then Covid happened!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for your concern and lovely comments. I'm going to do a quick post to update. x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered