A Bit Angry
Cop 26, what a joke! Heads of state from all over the world flying in for two days with all their entourage and in the American Presidents case - a massive petrol guzzling car and about a million secret service agents to talk to the world about carbon emissions and saving the planet! Our city roads have been gridlocked because huge swathes of the city is closed to the public and I'm not just talking about the immediate area of the conference - the whole of the expressway - the main artery to the north side of the city is closed it's whole length for the two week duration, whole streets near the area are closed there are armed police at every possible entry way to the area and I've never seen so many police vans, bikes, cars as there are just now. Today on my way to the hospital the main motorway through the city was a virtual car park for several miles and in among it all I passed a row of 8 police vans in a row - I assume a vip had been escorted to the airport and they were on the way back or they wouldn't have sat in the jam! Then to add to it there are all these people from all over the UK (and possibly beyond) marching through the streets using flares (I've no idea why except to reduce our air quality!) and apparently turning corners at random. Other marches would not be able to do that so I can only assume there were not enough police left over to police this. How is this all saving our planet? All these leaders will go home and they have to face re election at some point and I'll bet if the environment is a game changer for them, it will get dropped like a hot potato. All I see in this is a huge PR event - all talk and little action. Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe we do need to clean up our act but I don't think this is the way to do it. Bringing a busy city to a grinding halt to host a load of windbags does not seem very planet friendly to me. I'm pretty sure our air quality during this has dropped dramatically due to all the traffic trying to find an alternative route and sitting for long periods in traffic jam. To be honest, if it weren't for my mum being in the hospital, Cop26 wouldn't have affected me in the least but having sat in several jams and taken much much longer to travel to where I had to be I'm annoyed. Traffic jams when there is an accident or road works etc don't bother me in the least, but traffic jams for this kind of thing and for football traffic etc annoy the heck out of me! Rant over!
I had a bit of an arguement with the hospital last night too! My mum phoned me at 5pm last night to tell me she was getting moved to another hospital on the north of the city (we live south of the city) As above, getting from one side of the city to the other is nigh on impossible at the moment but that all aside, we'd been told she was probably getting home today so why would they move her for one night. The poor nurse I called got it. I wasn't cheeky but I was very firm that I did not want her moved. Not only could we not visit her, she'd be in a ward with other people (currently in a room of her own), she'd be ages going across the city in an ambulance during rush hour and again, see above for crazy road situation why on earth does it make sense to waste the ambulance time and mess up a bed for one night when she's likely to get home the next day! The nurse said my mum had said it was ok and I said, well at 87 of course she'd say ok to you, she's not going to argue with you. Go and ask her again and tell me if her answer is the same. She did, it wasn't! She said she didn't want to move this time. The nurse spoke to the bed manager and thankfully they let her stay! I took in some chocolates that night as bribery and corruption and told the nurses that was what it was for!! At least they laughed. However by 4pm today we'd still not heard if she was coming home so I decided I was waiting no longer as I was sure they'd call me to get her right at the rush hour and the road was bad enough at that time so I was glad I went. So, all is well for now. Mum got home, my brother took her in a fish supper which she asked for and she's looking forward to watching her favourite program on telly tonight before having an early night with her blanket on! She said she felt quite cold in the hospital and I must admit it didn't feel as hot as it used to. I'm not even going to start on our energy crisis!!
I'm really really looking forward to a few 'normal' days now. A few days where I don't have to drive across town, where I can just spend the day at home and not worry about having to go out later. I will have to go to mums at some point for the next few days until she's fully on her feet, but thats a 5 minute trip up a quiet road so it won't be a problem. It's the small things in life that you appreciate sometimes isn't it.
Completely agree they're all talk and no action!! I'm glad your mum finally got home. I'm sure there's a good reason but why do they make you wait all day for the final say so? Hopefully you'll get some normal days now xxx
ReplyDeleteI was surprised she was kept all day too especially as we'd been told the night before they needed beds urgently! I'm having a day in the house today, I took up some homemade pies and soup to mum last night and told her I'll phone her today but won't see her. I need a day to myself! Thanks for popping by, I hope you're feeling better now. xx
DeleteIt would have made me cross too, moving your Mum for one night. ....like the government, no joined up thinking! Hope that she will get on OK back home....nothing like your own bed!
ReplyDeleteThere is no joined up thinking in the NHS but I don't blame the medical staff, I blame all these managers they now have, managers who probably haven't a clue what it's like to be in hospital. Mum is doing ok and is really appreciating her own bed now lol. x
DeleteGlad your Mum is home and it definitely sounds like you deserve to put your own feet up and re-charge. I can’t stand traffic; queues at a local level crossing irritate beyond belief, even if there are only 3 cars in front and one train to pass through!
ReplyDeleteI'm having a quiet, recharging day today. I feel as though I've been running around for weeks now and I need a day to just be! Some traffic I don't mind strangely and some I absolutely loathe, football traffic annoys the heck out of me lol. x
DeleteThe meeting for COP26 was needed but certainly they could have considered Earth friendly methods of transport once in Scotland, I agree. Politicians have ignored the Earth's issues for decades, nothing new there unfortunately. As for your mom, I am glad you spoke to them and then dropped off the chocolate ;) I am glad she is home, hopefully you can rest easily. And even though she may not express it, I want to commend you for being as helpful and wonderful as you have been to her <3 it isn't easy but you do the best you can!
ReplyDeleteAw thankyou jj thats kind of you.
DeleteI agree the leaders need to DO something to save the planet but it's all so political and one party changes the stuff another has put in place. We need something like a united party from around the world that is not political and cannot be swayed by big companies to do their bidding. The number of cars (not to mention The Beast) Joe Biden brought was absolutely appalling. Not to mention he stayed in Edinburgh which required his cavalcade to travel the 50 miles each way every day too! Our own royal family travelled up by regular train! Anyway, I hope they feel something gets achieved although from what I've heard its all still very much in the future. x
Oh I feel for you. We used to get bigwigs coming to Geneva all the time, of course, but not for two weeks at a time! And to hell with all the inconvenience to the locals right? But at least now your mom is home you can hopefully avoid all the hassle. Good for you for not allowing them to move mom to another hospital, but that poor nurse must have wondered what hit her (but I'm sure they appreciated the chocolates though)!
ReplyDeleteTwo weeks is a long time to distrupt the whole city. I got notification from the hairdresser I go to in the city today to say the city centre is a nightmare, avoid if possible and she'll happily reschedule if necessary! As if the businesses haven't had enough to contend with over the past year or so! Yep, thank goodness mum is home and happy to be home. The nurse was very apologetic and I did tell her it wasn't her I was getting at but she was the point of contact and I'd be happy for her to quote me to the manager! Thankfully alls well and I'll enjoy a day of slumping on the sofa in front of a good old Christmas film today lol. x
DeleteI'm glad she got home and yes, moving her for just one night is a waste of resources.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad she's home too. She's missing having her meals made for her but I've made her soup and some chicken pies to keep her going a few days so she'll be fine. Thanks. x
Delete