Not Normal At All!

Normality, what is that??  The day after I did my last post I went up to help mum with her hair and noticed she was breathing very fast.  She was panting effectively and struggling to get a breath.  I phoned her gp and all but demanded she be seen face to face and thankfully they told me to bring her right in.  The doctor examined her and wasn't happy with her breathing and said I'd to take her right away to the specialist assessment centre at Glasgows main hospital.  They took her in for assessment to decide if she'd be getting home or being admitted.  She was admitted.  Turns out she had pneumonia.  While they were checking her they also decided to have a look at her brain as they noted she'd been diagnosed with aneurysms a few years ago and they also discovered her kidney function was very poor.  Anyway, the upshot is, she is still in, on antibiotics although they are finished today and her pneumonia has gone, thank goodness.  She's eating and drinking well again and looks very much better however, in doing the routine bloods they noticed her kidneys weren't functioning properly so they are taking her off a couple of her medications as they suspect they are to blame.  They also noted she's had a couple of mini strokes since her last ct scan, although I'm not worried about that as a doctor once told us that if they scanned anyone over the age of 50 they'd find brain bleeds, it's very common and often doesn't present as a stroke at all.  She's been warned (by me!) to drink much more than she's currently drinking.  Unfortunately she drinks out of little bottles of water but she takes tiny sips and she feels she's drinking plenty when in fact she's making a small bottle last nearly all day!  If her bloods improve she'll get home tomorrow or Wednesday so fingers crossed.  Visiting her at the hospital is a total nightmare just now as you may have heard COP26 is being held in Glasgow and they have shut off a huge number of roads in and around Glasgow.  The hospital is off the main motorway that leads to the airport and also is right next to the Clyde Tunnel.  The reason the tunnel has become an issue is because it is now the main crossing from the South to the North of the city (and vise versa) because the expressway is now totally closed for the duration of COP.  This means absolutely millions of people are now trying every which way to get to the tunnel and today what is normally a 20 minute drive home took me an hour and a half.  It took me 15 minutes just to actually get out of the hospital grounds as the traffic on the road outside it was jammed solid.  Thankfully I'd anticipated a bit of traffic (not quite as much as there was I have to say) and had sorted myself out with a podcast to listen to in the car so I was well amused as I sat in the traffic jams.  My mum couldn't have picked a worse time to be in hospital thats for sure - well actually maybe she could, last year would have been pretty horrendous I suppose and at least we can visit her! 

 Anyway, thats it.  Normality is still a bit of a way off.  In among this my son in laws grandfather died at the weekend.  He'd been very ill so for him I guess it was a blessing and as he was 92, it was not unexpected but still very sad.  My grandson will get his broken wrist checked on tomorrow at our local hospital and apart from all that, all is well!    Thanks for all your concern in the comments I appreciate it. x

Comments

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your mum but glad she's on the mend. Water is the best thing for kidneys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pixie. Yes, but trying telling that to my mum!! She can be very stubborn!

      Delete
  2. Well, I am so glad she got into the hospital and they were able to address the issues. Phew! Definitely better to have her in there now with vaccines and everything. I love a good podcast as well. Sorry to hear about your SIL's grandad, but 92 is a great age, and I am sure he is at peace now. Hope your grandson's wrist is healing up swimmingly. I hope you get a chance to rest, what a busy few days you've had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou jj. Mum is definitely on the mend now. I had to take my grandson to the hospital today and they've told him they think he may have a third broken bone so he'll get another appointment to go and get a CT scan now. They reckon it will be 8 weeks before his wrist will be back to normal! He's already complaining and we're at week 1 - there's no hope lol. I had to sit in the car for 2 hours waiting for him but I anticipated a wait and read my book. It was lovely and peaceful!!

      Delete
    2. omg, well time for your grandson to take a page out of your book and learn to anticipate the wait. :P but i can see why he is complaining, i wouldn't enjoy being one wrist down either!!

      Delete
  3. Good to read that your .mum's on the mend. I sympathise with the drinking though, as I find it difficult to drink when I'm not thirsty. Fingers crossed she'll be home soon, and you won't have to contend with nightmare traffic. Glad you can visit... it was a nightmare when my mum was in hospital last year as we couldn't see her, and it was so hard to get any information. Hope your grandson's wrist is healing well- he's got youth on his side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mum got home today thank goodness. Between Cop 26 and all the extinction rebellion protesters, our roads are all completely snarled up particularly near the hospital. Fortunately I know the city very well and as my mum said tonight on the way home, 'you're your fathers daughter, I have no idea where we are'. My dad knew every route to anywhere in and around the city, he knew every shortcut etc and I'm much the same so tonight I came home what would normally be the scenic route but was in fact faster than it would have been any other way! I'm sure my grandson's wrist will heal well in time, he's just annoyed it interferes with his Playstation gaming!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I'd love to receive your comments, but please keep it clean and polite. Thankyou.

Popular posts from this blog

I Didn't Want to Just Disappear!

LIfe Goes On.

Plastered