Finding New Content?
How do you find new blogs to read? I'm not good at searching out new blogs. The ones I currently read I've come across through other blogs I read but this has narrowed my field as mostly the same group of people read the same kind of blogs. I feel we are a little group who wander down the lanes of the same blogs and although I like my group of people, I'd like to break away now and again to read blogs that cover some of my other interests. I remember in the old days on blogger you could click on a link to 'the next blog' which often threw up some interesting sites but that seems to have gone now. I also try to click on links on peoples profile to blogs they follow, however I feel that brings me back to the circle I'm currently in. I don't have any problem with my circle but I feel there must be blogs out there that would interest me in a way they might not interest the same group I'm in. Its a group that's getting smaller and smaller as people seem to fall away from blogging. I know I've said myself I'm not sure whether to stay or go but I do enjoy reading blogs. I love having a little peek at how other people live, it's a bit like peeking into windows in the evening when its getting dark before people close the curtains! It's interesting to see how others live. I latched onto frugal blogs way back and seem to have stayed there but now I'd like to see more variety. Perhaps even how the other half live! I'd like to read about crafters like myself, but not a whole blog written about how to make a quilt or crochet a sock for example. Someone who's interests are similar to mine but it's not their whole life. I've only recently come to You Tube lifestyle programs and like blogs it can be hard to know what to look for. For example I like What Vivi Did Next on You Tube - in short bursts! She's not really my cup of tea but I'm interested in how she goes about her life. I feel there must be others out there who are interesting but perhaps not quite so extreme. I think what made me think about this was watching a program the other night about Sue Perkins travelling round parts of USA in a camper van. She told how some of the people she met have blog about their life and I thought I should look that up. I didn't yet, but it reminded me I want to try to widen what I look at. I've been deleting a lot of stuff I've had in my favourites recently. Some have long since stopped blogging and others I couldn't quite remember why I bookmarked them as I wasn't interested in their content. I really only read about half a dozen blogs now on any kind of regular basis and I'd quite like to expand it a little bit. How do you find things to watch/read? I'm keen to know if you feel the same as I do or if you have loads of different varieties of blogs you read or You Tubers to watch.
On another unrelated note, we've started stripping paper off the walls! I quite like stripping paper off walls, clearing up the resulting mess not so much!!
I’m finding many bloggers are choosing not to have a blogroll on show, that list of blogs that they read themselves. Often they’d have a ‘different’ one tucked in amongst a lot of ‘the old favourites’ those that many of us are already reading.
ReplyDeleteSometimes (and I’m sure you have as well) googled ‘insert place/interest’ blogs with the hope something different might turn up…. I’ve discovered for example, financial ones, cooking ones, self help ones, age related ones….but got fed up because that’s all they talked about 😊.
I’m beginning to think we all might have to accept the fact that new common or garden blogs - those that just talk about life - are becoming a thing of the past
I have to admit I came late to blogs and blogging and feel I've missed the best of it. A lot of people are going to Instagram, You Tube etc. I like Instagram well enough but its not the same as reading a blog. Yes, the problem is if you insert a specific subject and blog you tend to get to the ones that only talk about that subject which can get very repetitive and/or boring. I liked the common or garden blogs talking about life in general the best and as you say perhaps they are old news. I hope not!
DeleteI have to endorse what you say; I am finding it difficult to discover new retirement blogs that I enjoy reading regularly and so many bloggers of that ilk whose content I used to enjoy have fallen by the wayside. Meantime when I dip into other genres, they are generally a little intense to follow. I suspect Covid is having an impact, reducing horizons and therefore perhaps a disinclination to blog if you feel there are only repetitive instances to write about or causing others to go down deeply convoluted and introspective routes. Just when we could all do with being entertained more, too!
ReplyDeleteYou would think Covid would have given people more time to blog not less! Although I see what you mean that if people are going nowhere and doing nothing (me!) its harder to find stuff to blog about. I can't even totally explain what it is I'm looking for in a blog but I hope whatever it is I find it and I'll be sure to let you know!!
DeleteI thought I'd died and gone to heaven when I first discovered blogland. All that subject matter - it was wonderful! But I've found that over time my taste has changed too, so while I quite liked frugal blogs for a while (when I was desperate to pay my house off and retire), I think I pretty much know all about how to stretch a penny now. Then it was gardening blogs, and while I do the hard work to begin with I tend to lose interest as the gardening year moves on. I do occasionally hop over to the blog of someone who leaves a comment on another blog and I've found some lovely blogs like that but I agree, I have some blogs on my favourites list that I have no idea why I saved them. Not that they're not good, but I just don't look at them. There was always the intention to go back to the beginning and read them all but that will never happen, will it. But I'm always open to checking out new blogs too so if you find any .... Oh, and enjoy your stripping!
ReplyDeleteI felt much the same when I first came across blogs. I too was trying to find ways to save money and I got a lot of great advice and tips, most of which I still use but as you say, tastes change and needs change and like you I sometimes go to a blog from a comment but on the whole those people are still in the same group. I also thought I might go back and read older posts on blogs but I never do. To be honest I find my days whip by without me spending too much time on the computer these days. Don't ask me what I do cos I haven't a clue but the days seem to speed by most of the time but I will keep looking and if I find any good ones I'll be sure to mention them. How can you not enjoy stripping? :P
DeleteI too have struggled to find blogs I enjoy over the last few years. When I started reading blogs in 2010 it felt very different, and there were far more that I read and enjoyed. I acknowledge that I've changed a lot in the last 12 years, so what I enjoy now has changed too. Added to that is the fact that a lot of people have revealed aspects of themselves that I really don't like (usually racism or very right wing views) which means I'm no longer interested in what they have to say on their blogs.
ReplyDeleteI suspect blogging has had its heyday. I think now people prefer short and sweet such as twitter, instagram and tik tok etc. I suppose we've all changed in the last few years and none more so than the past two years. The pandemic has certainly brought people's beliefs to the fore. I'll keep on looking and if I don't find any I might have to get a life of my own lol.
Delete